TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Sharp Aquos LC-40LE81OUN. Blank screen with a blinking white

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos LC-40LE81OUN. Blank screen with a blinking white LED chevron bottom center. Seems to be a 1-1-5 flashing sequence or a 2-5. Not sure how Sharp codes are designed.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Asking the same question that was answered in my initial request.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You never answered these questions in your original query, that is why I asked them. if you'd like to reply I can assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is why I need my head examined to use just answer again. You obviously are not seeing my complete question or you would know that I ask about the white standby chevron flashing in a 1-1-5 pattern or a 2-5. But now instead of holding a deposit of $24 they hit my card for a $53 deposit and helped themselves to $24.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Sharp designed their codes to flash a certain number of times slowly, then a number of times quickly. From your description, it must be 2 slow then 5 fast. Yes?

Best,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I had given and logged off. Yes that is exactly it! 2 slow 5 rapid and repeat unless I hit power and then it lites steady but starts the 2-5 eventually. It's a friends tv and she was going to literally smash it with a hammer. I'm just trying to give her a better day I guess. I'm a Construction Machinery mechanic. Not much experience with TV's.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
With this model, 2 slow and 5 fast is usually indicative of a power supply failure but I have seen other issues with it as well. Do you have a meter? Do you want to get inside the TV to troubleshoot / measure voltages? Or do you need a cost on repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do have a digital and as well as the old style meter. I like to give it a shot. I just called her and got more background. She bought it at best buy in 2010. Within 3 weeks the monitor touch controls to the bottom right failed however the remote worked. They repaired this under warranty at 45 days old. Around 6 weeks later the screen went blank and she did nothing (said she watches very little tv) by the time she called it was outbof warranty. Best buy sent her to a local jobber and she was told it is a common failure. Cost $180 for the part and $180 labor. Wrote to Sharp without remedy.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
The first thing we need to do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes. Now, remove the TV's pedestal stand and also the rear panel (lots of screws).

Now find the power supply board. It's the large board in the middle. Have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors.

Are any of them even slightly puffy on top, like the ones in the picture below (red arrows)? A good capacitor will be completely flat on top... almost concave. Any convexity at all, I need to know about it.

Note, this is not a picture of your TV... just an example of puffy capacitors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked at every bit of the power board with a high powered light but can't find a capacitor that looks at all blown, nor can I see anything at all burnt, cracked loose etc. Power cord looks good also. I looked at the replaced touch pad and surrounding area for possible mistakes while it was worked on but sorry to say it all looks pristine.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Now what we need to do, is measure all the DC voltages coming out of the power supply. See the connector where the AC voltages is coming into the board? Don't measure that. See all the other multi wire connectors going out of the board? Measure each of those wires, on each connector. Stick your red lead down into the connector so the lead makes contact with the pin, and ground the meter on any exposed chassis metal.

What voltages are you seeing, specifically?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dan have to work but will do that as soon as home. Thx
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok no problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I worked on it last night but cannot get any DC voltage out of the connectors off the power board. I checked the AC voltage IN to be sure there was power into the tv and that my tester was working correctly. That did show voltage in the 90v range but not the 125v that I was getting from the outlet. Why the drop with a standard 6' cord?

I checked all of the capacitors before I even contacted you since I have been able to replace blown ones and repair tv's for friends in the past but maybe I'm in over my head now. I wanted to at least let you know I'm still in but I need to try the tests again from the start tonight and see if I can get some readings out of those connectors.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

There shouldn't be any AC drop from the wall to the power supply. Disconnect the cord from the TV and test at the end of the cord. Also double check your DC voltages coming off the other side of the power supply board, and let me know if you're getting anything. You should have 5V, for sure.