Need help to access music thru Smart hub on my Samsung Smart TV?

I have a Samsung Smart TV and recently through its Smart Hub accessed my own computer. I was attempting to open up any of my music or picture files it contains. The individual files are easily found, but attempting to open them brings forth a message to the affect that "they are of the wrong format" and cannot be opened. How do I change this condition?
Terry T
Category: TV
Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.

Hello! I will assist you solve your problem.

You can access the content of your computer via AllShare (DLNA) feature using either Windows built-in advanced sharing or Samsung PC Share Manager which is more convenient to share/unshare specific file or folder. You can download Samsung PC Share Manager HERE. Short instructions on how to use the program are shown on THIS VIDEO.

Once you have set-up a way of sharing files and folders and accessed the content of your computer on a TV, it will only load one of the three multimedia groups:

- photos
- music
- videos

So, if you only see photos, but want to access music as well, you will need to select Music from the bottom of the window and click OK using your remote control. Then, all shared music will become accessible.

In case you don't use Samsung PC Share Manager, I suggest downloading it and installing as there should not be problems with the wrong format, unless you are really attempting to access unsupported file format.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there its Terry Tyson again. I carried out all your instructions re computer connecting with my Samsung TV. Everything appears to work, the TV indicates the shared files selected, the only trouble is that none of the individual files are accepted and fail to operate. All I see is the message "Not supported file format" on every one. Whats the next solution?
Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.
Could you tell me what kind of file types are you trying to access? For example: JPG, MP3, AVI, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All the normal file types for photo's, videos and music, i.e. (.jpg), (.mpg) and (.wma) etc
Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.
I see.

Could you confirm the following:
- you access files on your computer via built-in integrated "All Share" application on your Samsung TV
- you tried sharing files and folders using Samsung PC Share Manager
- you tried to open audio, video and music files

and you still see the message "Not supported file format"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes to all the questions raised. The TV acknowleges any changes I've made and revises the directory on the TV for the Share Manager
Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.

I did some research on this problem and found that other people get the same error message but only when they are using some custom DLNA program or another operating system such as Linux (Ubuntu).

So, if you are using Windows and did everything according to my instructions, I really don't know why you can list files and folders, but can't access them.

It may be a hardware problem with your TV or there is something wrong with DLNA sharing over network. I advise you to contact your seller or Samsung support at: 18007267864

In the meantime, you should be able to access those files by copying them to an external hard disk drive and connecting it to your Samsung TV. Then open them using SmartHub.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried copying files to a separate disc then accessing them through PC Share Manager only to find they failed to copy over into shared folder, with a message telling me "Can only share folder items". No progress that way, what does it mean?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Further to my recent message I have had some success. Videos taken with a Soni video camera and associated still photos now work correctly. Its my photo's taken with my Kodak camera which do not. Does this help with your diagnosis?
Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.

"Can only share folder items" means that you can't share individual files, but they need to be in a folder instead.

Regarding your last success - glad to see you got that working. To be able to open photos taken with your Kodak camera, please unhide hidden files and folders

by clicking Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. When a new window opens, click on the View tab and select Show hidden files and folders. Then confirm by pressing OK.

Then delete or move any hidden file located in one of the shared folder that contain Kodak pictures. For example: thumbs.db, profiles.xml, olyalbum.inf or any other hidden file.

After that, remove all shared folders in PC Share Manager, refresh changes, re-share folders, refresh changes and see the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now have my photo's and videos being displayed correctly, with the exception of any music files which still indicate the wrong format. It looks like I will have to except this situation.

Many thanks for your help

Expert:  IT_Miro replied 3 years ago.
Well, that is good to hear. Regarding music files: you can copy your favorite songs to a removable USB disk and connect it to a Samsung TV via USB and access them like that. You can also install some free Internet Radio station application and listen to music that way, as well.

Anyway, I hope I was helpful!