Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My 50" Vizio plasma tv suddenly lost the picture...I have sound

My 50" Vizio plasma tv suddenly lost the picture...I have sound but no picture....
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Ok, let's narrow this down. Turn the TV off, and make the room as dark as possible. Get a good idea of how black the screen is. Now turn the TV on and watch the screen. Does the screen change from pitch black to a very dark gray, almost like it's glowing slightly?

Best,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Pamela,

Grab the Vizio remote and press MENU. Do you get the menu on screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no...my husband has the back of the tv open and it's unplugged

Stand behind it and find the scan drive and the sustain board. They are on the left and right hand sides, respectively… large boards with heatsinks attached.

Now, turn the TV on (so you can hear the audio) and let it play for 30 minutes.

Now touch the heatsinks… are they all hot?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the right side is warm...the left upper is warm but the lower is cold
Pam,

Do you guys have a voltmeter? Can you measure a voltage or two, inside the TV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have a test light but no voltmeter
Ok that won't work.

Just to confirm the symptoms... the screen does not lighten up at all when you turn it on, you have sound, and the lower heat sink on that left hand board is cold.

Right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Ok, just a minute please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Ok, Pam... thanks for your patience.

Based on the symptoms, if I was working on your TV I would replace the scan drive (aka "Y-sustain") board. That's the board on the left with the cold heat sink. The symptoms line up pretty perfectly... coupled with a cold heat sink (it should be quite warm), this is almost definitely your issue.

Your TV used a couple different versions, so be sure to get the part number from the board itself before you look for a replacement. That way, you can be sure you're ordering the right one. I've listed some suppliers, below.

New parts
encompassparts.com
searspartsdirect.com
partstore.com
pacparts.com

Refurbished parts
moduslinkptstvboards.com
tristatemodule.com

Used parts
shopjimmy.com
eBay.com

If you need clarification or have more questions, click "reply to expert" and let me know. If you're finished, please click the smiley face that best represents the service I've provided. Without your rating, I'm not compensated for my time here. Rating me will not close your question.

Best,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where is the part number located...or, what might it contain?

Pam,

Some possible part numbers for your board...

0940-0000-2210 <---- probably this one
LJ92-01399A
EBR39522801
EBR37284101
EBR36223601
6871QYH039B
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dan...

You helped us with our 50 " Vizio tv earlier this week. We replaced the Y sustain board at your suggestion. When we turned the tv on one of the IC chips on the upper y-buffer board started smoking! Now what?!?!

Hi Pam,

Which part number did you order, and is there any visible damage to the new board?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we ordered NEW part...bn-96-06519A
Ok, good.

Sometimes this happens, and as long as there isn't any visible damage to the new board there isn't much to get overly alarmed about. Just replace the upper and lower buffers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Don't plug the TV back in, until the buffers have been replaced

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here