Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.
33243543

The HDMI port on my sony tv is not working.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

- What is that device that is being plugged in HDMI of TV? Bluray, Cable Box, PS3, DVD etc?
- Did you confirm the video source in any other TV's HDMI input that isn't working in KDL46EX400 HDMI input?
- Did you reset TV through TV menu?
- Did you confirm the HDMI cable in this connection setup?
- Were HDMI inputs of TV working before?

These info will help to diagnose the problem.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried Blu-ray and Laptop

I have only one TV. However, I tried two different HDMI sources, blu-ray and Laptop. Both them used to work find and the likelihood that both of them malfunctioning is very low in my opinion.

- Did you reset TV through TV menu?

I tried it from TV Menu, unplugging the power supply and holding the up-arrow from remote when turning the TV on (your answer to one of previous questions), unplugging the power supply and holding the power button for 10 seconds when turning the TV on, unplugging the TV and holding power button on for 10 seconds on each device for when the power is turned on.

The TV seems to know the name of the device when it is receiving through the HDMI (it is displayed on the screen), but after 5 seconds or so, it says 'no signal'.

I even opened up the TV and checked if there are any loose contacts. I could not find anything wrong visually.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, correct procedure to reset TV is as follows...

Please turn On TV, press and hold down UP arrow on TV remote and press Power button on side panel of TV.
It will turn Off and back On itself with initial setup screen, go through first setup process then connect Bluray in HDMI input of TV and check.

Let me know how it goes to proceed further.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able to reset the TV. Saw the word 'Reset' on the bottom left corner of the TV and after it was done, the TV went to Auto Tune...

Still the same thing. Say the TV input was set to HDMI1 and, I just turned on Blu-ray player that is plugged into HDMI2, the TV automatically switches to HDMI2 (this could be because they are both Sony), displays BD, waits for about 10 secs and then says, 'No Signal'.

I tried all four ports.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, it shows that TV HDMI port is working ,as you get BD screen in TV, but later BD player sends incompatible video resolution for some reason.
Connect BD player in TV through AV cable (yellow-red-white) to get BD player screen in TV and perform Reset Bluray through its menu options.

Please note that player will ask internet settings and password XXXXX reset if it is used for Netflix or some thing similar streaming service so make sure you have password/ login info before resetting the player.

After resetting BD player, connect it through HDMI cable in TV and check.
Let me know how it worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't get the BD screen, I simply get the text 'Player 1(BD)' on the top left corner of the TV, followed by the text 'No Signal' after a few seconds.

I went ahead and reset the BD player, selected the HDMI as connection method. I still have the same issue. I know the BD player is pumping the video in HDMI since when I connect AV cable, the BD displays the message that I should see the video through HDMI connected device.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
ah OK. it seems HDMI inputs of TV are not working properly to present video signal however, TV receives and process control signals through HDMI port.
I would be sure for that after testing the Bluray player and HDMI cable on another TV.

- How old is this TV and is it still under warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My TV is little more than 2 years and I already spoke to Sony. They told me that cannot do anything. They gave me the contact information for 'Norman Electronics' in Duluth, Atlanta area. That fellow (I paid him ~$100) said that we need to replace the board and it costs about $400.00. I paid $700 for that TV and he is telling me that it needs a $400.00 repair... that is certainly not acceptable. How common is this problem on Sony TVs? is there anything else I can do?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, this isn't common problem in Sony LCD TVs but this can be happen.

I can provide you a source to get main board of this TV for $59 only and its replacement isn't a big deal, unplug AC cord of TV from wall outlet, take off back of TV and unplug few connectors carefully on the main board, remove screws and take it out.
Put new board, tight the screws and plug connectors in main board. Job is done.

Click Shopjimmy.com to view the main board image and price info to order it.

Hope this will help to resolve the issue, let me know if there is additional question.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is great Shahid. I will replace the board. So, in your opinion will this fix the problem?

I will rate you excellent and pay the rest. Is there a e-mail address that I can contact you if I run into any problems?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
As I explained before, I will check Bluray player along with HDMI cable on another TV to make sure that KDL-46EX400 main board, that has 4 HDMI inputs, is bad then I'll go to replace it, being a tech I have that opportunity in my repair shop, almost every time.

You can test your BD player at friend's TV or in neighborhood etc :)
Once found BD player and HDMI cable fine then yes, go ahead and replace the board.

I'm sorry, experts at JustAnswer are not allowed for off site contact, however, you can post the follow up question at any time on site.

Wish you good luck !
Thanks.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

I found one firmware update for this TV that may resolve the problem.
Click Sony Support link to download the firmware file, extract and copy it on USB flash drive, plug it in TV to update TV firmware.
Please follow the Sony instructions written on that page for successful update. if that doesn't help then replace main board in TV.

Hope this will help.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shahid,

Thanks for the follow-up on the firmware. That is the version of firmware I have on my TV and I just re-installed it just in case. The problem was not resolved.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
ah OK, now we can move forward to replace the main board in TV.

Good Luck Raj !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Replacing the main board did the trick. Thanks for the great service and great reference to board supplier.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Glad to know that you got TV back in business.
Have nice time !