TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a panasonic plasma tv TH-50PX80U and it suddenly turned

I have a panasonic plasma tv TH-50PX80U and it suddenly turned off, no blinking lights and now will not turn on. I bought it 2008. two months later the power board had to be replaced. It has worked since but now it is acting like it did before.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter? You'll need to check fuses and the power supply for starters.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No voltmeter. I wasn't aware that there were fuses in these TVs. The power supply went dead 2 months after I bought the TV in 2008. It has been fine since yesterday when without warning it simply shut ff and would not come back on. It is no longer under warranty. How mu ch does a a repair of the power supply or fuses generally cost. I am in BVirginia and a technocian will be here on Monday. I want to be prepared for the cost!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,No voltmeter. I wasn't aware that there were fuses in these TVs. The power supply went dead 2 months after I bought the TV in 2008. It has been fine since yesterday when without warning it simply shut off and would not come back on. It is no longer under warranty. How much does a a repair of the power supply or fuses generally cost. I am in Virginia and a technocian will be here on Monday. I want to be prepared for the cost!
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok....the FIRST thing you should do is this.

Unplug your TV's power cord from the wall and give it 5 minutes so the TV's computer RESETS.

You could simply have a locked up micro.

Plug it back in. see if the TV turns on, or at least the light on the front of the TV lights up.

If it does light up, and if you can turn it on and off....your micro is ok.

If you turn the TV on....and the TV turns itself off, and blinks....count the blinks between the 3 second pauses.

That isolates your problem.

Then I can look at what is happening to your TV set, and give you an estimate of repair.

I just hope your TV just needs the 5 minute unplug to get it started again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already tried the five minute restart . I actually left it off overnight. No lights are on when I re-plug it. Just nothing. What Am I possibly looking at it the way of repairs? , ,No voltmeter. I wasn't aware that there were fuses in these TVs. The power supply went dead 2 months after I bought the TV in 2008. It has been fine since yesterday when without warning it simply shut off and would not come back on. It is no longer under warranty. How much does a a repair of the power supply or fuses generally cost. I am in Virginia and a technocian will be here on Monday. I want to be prepared for the cost!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

zI have unluhhed the tv and left it off overnight. There are no lights on the front panel. No sounds, just a dead tv. Wghat's my best and worst case scenarious as far as cost.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Since you don't get any lights lighting up on your TV --

1] Your power supply may be totally dead

2] Your main board may not be turning on the TV set at all.

The power supply board is $100 to $110 for that.

The Main board is $170 to $180.

It will be one or the other.

Labor cost I would expect to be $150.

Altogether, expect $250 to $260 total if the power supply is bad, or $320 to $330 if the main board has failed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why do you suppose this is happening. I have read numerous consumer complaint boards and blogs where people are having the same problem. Changing to power boards in less than 4 years is ludicrous and reveals a deeper issue with Panasonic. Zone blog that I read had 768 complaints about essentially the same problem that I have. I paid too much money for the TV to have to be paying 3-300 dollars every 2 years or so to replace something that is obviously a design flaw.. Thanks for you help and I would appreciate any further suggestions.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

My suggestion.

Contact Panasonic's Customer Relations department. If there's an issue with their TV set, it's their responsibility to take care of their customers. That's their job, to assist customers with out of warranty repairs.

http://www.panasonic.com/accessibility/aces_cus.asp

You should tell them you had it serviced a couple years back too.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.