TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

I have a 2010 mitsubishi 73" DLP WD-73C10. I have contacted

Customer Question

I have a 2010 mitsubishi 73" DLP WD-73C10. I have contacted both mitsubishi and Sony and been walked through diagnosis with them. I just got the tv and I'm new to this. So When I watch regular dvds they are fine but when I watch blue ray its very pixelated. I have tried a different blue ray player and still the same issue. also i tried using component cables and its still the same. my tv is 1080P and even on all the settings its the same issue. any help? I have stumped all the pro's so far with this.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Lets see if it is truly related to the Blu Ray resolution.

Use a Blu Ray disc that pixellates the picture, but instead of connecting it to your TV set with HDMI or Component cables, see if you can deliver it to your TV set using the really old Yellow White Red Composite cables. Those cables can only deliver 480, just like your normal NON Blu Ray DVDs do.

If it looks normal, then most likely the TV's Scaler is bad.

Do you have any other HD based equipment like an HD cable box ? How does its HD picture look on the TV set? The same or not?

I think your 720 and 1080 is causing the pixellation, but the 480 isn't....that would explain why normal DVDs look good and all Blu Ray DVDs look bad.

But I'm also surprised the Mitsubishi techs didn't think of replacing the scaler. Did you just talk to the Mitsubishi Customer service, and they didn't escalate it to a Mitsubishi Technician?

Did you talk to Rob by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try the old cables now. mitsubishi didnt escalate my call. didn't talk to a rob, no. i dont have cable or satelite i just watch dvds. hold on a min and I will plug those other cables in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the only thing is I'm not getting a picture at all now and I think its because I dont have a red yellow white hookup in back of the tv there is a red and white for sound but no yellow. so i just put the yellow in the green slot. it really only has the component red green blue hookups then the hdmi...and a set of white and red for sound. so for now I am getting no picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ya and how much is a scaler and where do I get one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but when I use hdmi and set my blue ray player to the 480 setting on a blue ray its very distorted. I don't know if that helps?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

They got rid of the Composite inputs on your TV set. I was expecting your TV to be a couple years older. My mistake.

Ok, lets see...if we can't use 480 on composite....then we should try switching the blu ray's Video resolution to 480 output only, and just run it into the TV set with component or HDMI and see if the scaler responds favorably to that.

The one thing I don't like about that test is the fact we can't separate the problem between the TV set and the Blu Ray....

Have you taken into consideration that the Blu Ray could be the problem and not the TV?

Do you have another Blu Ray or even a standard DVD with HDMI, or maybe a PS3 or some other unit that can deliver HD to the TV?

If your Blu ray is faulty, a second device that outputs 720 or 1080 will look nice and clean with HD. We know the blu ray delivers clean 480, but it's somewhat hard to know if the TV or the Blu Ray is delivering faulty 720/1080.

We need to isolate the issue, so if you don't have a 2nd device....consider calling up a friend and have them bring their Blu Ray over.

Or take your Blu ray to their home for testing on HD.

Divide and Conquer...that's one of the most important tests a Technician can run.

If I were in your home, and you told me your HD picture is all pixellated, but the standard DVDs weren't....and you told me you only have that one Blu Ray operating your TV set....I would bring my Panasonic and Samsung Blu Rays with me to your home.

Divide and Conquer the problem.

Then you know for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I have a ps3 and it is the same issue.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then it is the TV set for sure. I just wanted to make sure of that.

Hang on...I'm heading to Mitsubishi to look up software /firmware updates. Have you checked yours? Off the top of my head, I think if you activate your menu, you may see the software version appear in the bottom left or right edge of the menu.

I'll check that too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. but like I said before if I set the blue ray player setting to 480 and run a blue ray disc through it it is extremely pixelated. the pixelation becomes less and less as you move up the scale to 1080P. I called mitsubishi and asked about the scaler but they can't pull it up without a part #. do you have a part # XXX the scaler that goes to my tv? mitsubishi WD-73C10
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok that's opposite of what I thought....so LOW def looks bad and High Def looks Good??

I got part numbers, but I'm going to do that as a last resort. Techs first check the obvious, then the less likely then they deal with firmware, then finally hardware. So ordering a board is last on our menu.

I want you to do this, and follow the directions exactly. Get the software version first, then try the thing I won't mention on a public site so others can Google it and destroy their TV sets.

Don't worry...just follow the instructions and don't go exploring, ok ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Now...did that improve the problem or is your TV 3 times larger than what a 480i picture was designed for ? Think about it....480i was designed for TV sets that were 25 inch TV sets or less. If your picture is just a little bit blurry....I'd expect that. But if it's BLOCKY....then you do have some issues at 480.

When I watch regular dvds they are fine but when I watch blue ray its very pixelated

but like I said before if I set the blue ray player setting to 480 and run a blue ray disc through it it is extremely pixelated. the pixelation becomes less and less as you move up the scale to 1080P

You see how confusing those two statements are? Regular DVDs are ok. Blu ray is ok at HIGH Definition, but not 480 ?

If that's the case, and regular Dvds are 480, it's totally conflicting. You've tried 2 Blu Rays (PS3 and Blu Ray player) so I'm going to stick with the TV having the issue.

But now....you've thrown a wrench in the machine. A Blu Ray downscaled to 480 looks bad, but a Regular DVD at 480 looks good.

I can see why the other people you talked to didn't have a clue....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya that sounds confusing. when i play a blue ray dvd on 480 it is pretty fuzzy. when I play it at 720 its still fuzzy or pixelated. when I play it at 1080 the image is fine but the background image is pixelated. ex close-ups on faces look fine but the clouds in the background are very pixelated. on 480, everything is pixelated. on 1080 its mostly the out of focus background images on the screen that have it.

now, when I play a regular dvd (non blue ray) everything is fine. crystal clear. I don't know if thats still confusing its just how it is and I really know nothing about this technology. I just know that right now I'm better off not watching blue rays because its distracting. But I want to be able to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I did the factory default. the picture at 480, blue ray disc with hdmi cable, is fuzzy and it fills my 73" screen. not really blocky though...

ok and I just went through all the different settings all the way up to 1080 and it pretty much looks the same on them all. fuzzy, pixelated. there is little to no difference between the image at 480 and 1080. does that help? but if I put a regular dvd in the image is perfect.

also I went and got a high speed hdmi cable. still no difference
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

One thing I thought about....is how many times the original video is being scaled.

We're still dealing with scaling issues.

Now...I'm going to give you some examples.

You get a 480 DVD....play it on a Blu ray player. 480 gets UPSCALED to 1080 and the TV set recieves it at 1080. No more scaling required.

You get a Blu Ray...play it at 1080. It comes off the disc at 1080, sent out the Blu Ray at 1080, recieved by the TV at 1080 and delivered to the TV screen at 1080.

(and of course you ask why the background is blurry)

No scaling changes at all....yet some blocks in the background ? There is a big difference in blurry/out of focus versus blocky /pixellated background, but the FIX involves taking your Blu Ray player and cloudy -background DVD over to a friend's house and playing it on their HDTV.

See if the Blu Ray disc behaves the same way on somebody else's TV.

And don't go over to your friend that has the 27 inch HDTV, take it over to the buddy with the 60 incher. Lets see if the pixellation is showing up, ok?

Now....here's the most important example --

Playing a 1080 DVD on a Blu Ray that's scaling it DOWN to 480, then scaling it UP to 1080.

There's that wrench again....

And I'm pretty sure this is why it looks so bad.

Listen, you really want to avoid upscaling...downscaling...upscaling.....downscaling...upscaling etc etc.

Every time you upscale or downscale you are actually LOSING video information from the scaling process. You take a 1080 resolution picture and jam it into a 480 picture.

2 million Pixels jammed into 345,600 pixels....then 345K pixels reinflated to 2 million pixels. Pictures don't like that, and they suffer loss of information being scaled down, the back up.

I know thats the reason why a Blu ray played at 480 looks like....well you know.

So, when it really comes down to it, I think you should take your Blu Ray over to a friends house....look at the clouds in 1080. Then look at the blu ray picture scaled down to 480.

The one I want to know is how the clouds look on 1080 at your friends home.

I know it'll take some time, but I really don't want you buying a board for your TV set, only to find out that the blu ray may be causing those clouds to look like.....well you know.

I think I've watched a little too much of Gordan Ramsay on Kitchen Nightmares today....how does he get away with saying that on TV?

Can you hook up with one of your buddys in the next week and try that Blu Ray test at 1080 and 480 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i will try to find one and do that. thank you for your help thus far
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok great, let's get that unit tested. I'm scheduling you for Saturday as a reminder. Hold on to this response and answer back once you test it. I'm heading to the grocery store to get some stuff.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested the Blu ray at your friends?