Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

my tv says no channel is registered - what does that mean and

my tv says no channel is registered - what does that mean and hoe do i fix it? I do not have the original remote
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Are you connected with a cable box/receiver,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

I will be in standby, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Customer:

yes a cable box - the tv had the same message before connecting the box

Customer:

Unfortunately, it is wall mounted and i am unable to see if there is a model number on the back

Jack :

O.k no problem

Jack :
Jack :

We may be able to do something without it , do you know what kind of cable/connection there is between the cable box and tv ?

Customer:

coax

Jack :

O.k and normally you would have the tv on channel 3 or 4 to connect to the cable box ?

Jack :

Can you open the tv`s menu with the buttons directly on it ?

Jack :

Or do you have a remote that operates the tv including the menu functions

Customer:

correct-this error will not allow me to change channels and it is on 1

i can open the tv menu button

Customer:
Jack :

Right now your tv needs to have the available channels installed in memory by doing an auto channel search ,auto program

Customer:

i cannot use the cable remote to operate the menu functions only the input source I do not have the original magnovox

remote

Customer:

can i do that with the buttons on the TV

Jack :

On the tv itself, is there a menu button ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

O.k then usually you can use the volume and channel up/down to navigate through the menu while it is open.

Jack :

When you press the menu button, what are the options/selections that you see ?

Customer:

i found the auto autoprogram channel list but can't enter to start....on enter button

Jack :

try it with the volume up button or the menu button again

Customer:

ok

Jack :

It may take some fiddling to get to it but usually you should be able to navigate through the menu with the buttons directly on the tv.

Customer:

it is scanning for analog channels now found 4 so far

Jack :

o.k thats good

Jack :

let it finish and also make sure the cable box is turned on.

Customer:

ok

Jack :

it should find it

Customer:

ok....found channels

Jack :

O.k and did it find channel 3 or 4 ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

o.k then try the channel up/down buttons to go to either 3 or 4 to see if it connects to the cable box ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

O.k then it looks like you`re are done with that part

Customer:

yeah

Jack :

That should do it,enjoy :)

Jack :

You can close this chat from your end with the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer and

have no other questions at this time.

Also, you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me

anytime or you can just send a reply here if you have any questions and i will be with you ASAP.

Jack :

Thank you and happy listening :)

Customer:

thanks

Customer:
Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech