Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have sound but no picture, whats wrong?

Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show up?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # XXXXX
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Already Tried:
called cable guy who said my tv was no good. its about 4-5 yrs 32" plazma model#FLX3211B Tom Nolan was working with me. he ask me to push the accept button so he could get paid. I ask him where the accept button and I lost him. whats up

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, this is so confusing to me. I replied back to you that the only thing that I know that was working besides the sound was the DVR was recoding a program.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK if you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this t.v. has been taken off cable and elec. outlet last week because I bought a new t.v. but I cannot believe this t.v. is no good. I did push the menu button and every button onthe cable selector after I got the bad news.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
ok did you push the menu button on the tv not on the cable remote?

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK can you plug the tv in, you do not need to hook it to the cable, just get power to it.

Then turn it on and push the menu button on the tv, I need to know if that menu shows up or not.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing come on when I push the menu button
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK now look close at the screen in a dark room when on, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, but when it was hooked up to cable it would show pic. for abou 2 second and then disappear

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK that all makes perfect sense, bad news but perfect sense.

This is very common on your model, what happens is there is a failure in the back light system. This could be a inverter or a inverter power issue. The problem is that the repair generally runs more than the tv is worth.

If you know how to use a meter and troubleshoot, I can help you fix it. If not though and you were to use a tech you would be looking at $250-300 which is about the same price you can get a new tv for.

I am sorry, I know you were hoping for an easier fix and that the tv was not broken but it is and unfortuantely you are not alone, this is very common.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.