Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.

my sony bravia KDL-52s5100 keeps shutting itself off and turning

Customer Question

my sony bravia KDL-52s5100 keeps shutting itself off and turning itself back on
then sometimes the color is messed up. turning it off and on seems to fix the color issue but then the tv shuts itself off again then on
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know following info that will help to diagnose the TV problem.

- How old is this TV?
- How long it got Off and On problem?
- Does any red light blink on TV front when this happens?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
manufactured in april 2009
just started doing it recently it goes off for like a second or 2
no red lights blink in front
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for info, few more questions...

- What is video source connected in TV?
- Does it happen with all connected devices?
- Please connect DVD player in TV to check, does it remain On or gives same problem?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its the satelite box connected to the tv via a hdmi cable
havent tried any other devices yet
I will connect a dvd and try
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sure, take your time.

I would recommend to unplug TV and Satellite box power cords from wall outlet for few minutes, replug back in, turn them On and check.

Let me know how it worked.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
been doing that for the past day and still the same problem
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, did you try to unplug TV and Satellite box from wall outlet for few minutes, replug back in, turn them On and check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I've unplugged everything from the tv and waited a few mins to reset everything problem still there
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, it seems firmware (internal software) issue that mutes the video for a while that appears as TV is shut Off then mute goes Off and picture appears again.
There is firmware update available on Sony Support site, click the link to download and follow the instructions strictly on that page to update the firmware in TV successfully that will help to resolve the issue.

If that does not help then it seems power supply board problem that turns Off for some reason, may be bad capacitors on it that makes voltage supply unstable thus TV goes Off, this helps to stable the voltage supply so TV turns On itself.
Power supply board replacement / swapping should be done by qualified / handy person to avoid any damage to TV. This repair may cost you $250 to $300

Hope these info will help, let me know if there is additional question.
Thanks.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could it be a faulty hdmi cable or something
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it could be HDMI cable too.
Did you connect DVD player with same HDMI cable?

I would suggest to connect DVD player through usual AV cable that goes in RCA jacks in player and TV, it will verify that HDMI cable is bad or some thing inside TV is defective.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks buddy cable is messed up
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Good to know that problem is solved.
Have nice time !