Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

When I connect Apple TV through HDMI to DVI cable, I get a blank (black - not blue) screen

When I connect Apple TV through HDMI to DVI cable, I get a blank (black - not blue) screen. What settings do I need to get it to display? In other words - what resolution is supported by the DVI input?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Nathan and I will be assisting you today. Please remember to rate/accept my answer when we have finished. Thank you.
The problem here is most likely not the resolution, but rather a HDCP issue. The dvi connection to the Olevia is not relaying the EDID info to the apple tv allowing it to establish a secure connection with the display. This is a limitation of your tv, not with the apple tv.
The only real solution in this case is to use a converter from the apple tv hdmi that will have hdcp/edid support, and convert the signal to component video you can use with the olevia. Here is an example: HDMI to YPbPr Component Video Converter (click for link)
As an alternative, if you aren't committed to using apple tv, and just want similar functionality, you could return the appletv and get a roku, which will have native output to composite video that would work with your tv, without any extra cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for looking at this problem. No luck so far. I have a converter box similar to the on you described (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBOQPU), and tried that too. I get the Olevia to briefly flash the words "not support" in the top right corner, but no image. I can toggle through multiple settings, including auto (by alternately connecting the TV and a monitor that does work), but it's the same every time. Again, every other monitor/TV that I have which has the YPbPr input copes fine with the output of this box, but the Olevia doesn't. This is why I bought the hdmi to DVI cable, hoping to resolve the issue...

I am not sure I know what hdcp/edid support is... is this somehow "the tv talking back to the Apple box"?

Is my converter box missing some functionality that the other one you proposed does have?
Thanks for not giving up just yet!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
This is an issue with your converter, the one I mentioned should work. Yours has no HDCP support (content protection). The edid is the tv talking back to the appletv to identify itself as a secure/hdcp compliant display.

Since your converter has no hdcp support, it can't relay that information, the one I mentioned (or higher end ones like a Fury3) will. If you filter out the 1 star reviews for your converter, you'll see many people having the same incompatibility issue with appletv.

If you bought yours recently on amazon, I'd exchange it for the one I mention or a Fury type converter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nathan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Your answer makes sense except for the part where my same converter is fine displaying the image from the Apple TV on another monitor. However I'm going to trust your expertise and order the other box. If it works, I'll mark the answer as solved. Shipping takes 3 - 5 days according to their site...
Not sure Amazon will take the old box back, but I'm going to try.

Floris
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Please let me know the results. Amazon should take it back within 30 days, tho may charge you shipping back unless you tell them it's defective, which technically it is when use with your equipment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Nathan,
The box I ordered from Amazon arrived today. It shows exactly the same symptoms: on any TV other than the Olevia, it displays the Apple TV signal fine (as did the old box), but the Olevia briefly flashed "not support" and then goes blue (not even blah like the other box did).

As an attempt to troubleshoot further, I tried changing from YPbPr2 to YPbPr 1which was working fine with a DVD player I had. The DVD worked fine on both input 1 and input 2, but I still can't see the Apple TV on this TV regardless of the input I use.

I have now tried the DVI-D (through a HDMI-DVI-D cable) and the YPbPr with two different converter boxes (including one I bought at your recommendation), and still am having no luck. I set the Apple TV output to 720p, 60 Hz (which the manual suggested was a good resolution to use) but I have also tried other resolutions (Auto, as well as a number of higher and lower values) with no luck.

Do you have any other ideas I could try? I'm beginning to think I need a new TV - but that's not really why I came to this forum for help...
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for testing with another device, that helps to isolate the issue a lot.
From here, the only real option is that this is an edid issue, though I'm not sure why, as the converter I suggested is designed to support hdcp and should be compatible. There are some edid cloning devices that should get you around this issue (HDmi Detective Plus) but this is an expensive fix, and at this point you honestly may be better off investing in a new tv, or just swapping the apple tv for a roku or google tv type device if it would meet your needs.
I'm sorry there doesn't seem to be a better answer in this case. This is just coming down to an odd hardware incompatability between the olevia and the appletv, as a custom installer I can tell you I run into issues like this frequently in the field and in almost all cases we end up having to use either the converter you have or the edid fix I'm mentioning now. I'm sorry for all the hassle you're having to go through to get this working again. At least amazon has a good return policy so you can send the converter back. Let me know which route you plan to take and how it works out for you. Thanks, Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nathan,
I appreciate the effort you spent trying to help me troubleshoot, and I feel you ought to get paid for your effort even though I don't have a working solution yet - so I am about to mark your answer as "informative and helpful" even though we were unable to get my Apple TV to talk to my Olevia (why did I get to see the Apple logo just once...??). What doesn't make sense to me is this:
I thought the YPbPr interface was "one way" - that is, it's an analog output, and so the Apple TV doesn't really know what is connected at the other end (is that true?). Also, since it's analog, I thought there is no HDCP associated with that interface (since quality is supposedly "degraded" by the interface).
The Apple TV can talk (through either of my interface boxes) to my other TV/monitor over either HDMI-->HDMI or HDMI-->DVI-D or HDMI-->converter-->YPrPb. The Olevia claims its DVI-D input is HDCP capable, and yet I get the "not support" message flashing every time. But my DVD player's YPbPr output works fine.
I wonder if there is something that could be done by cycling power on devices in a particular order. If you have any suggestions on the "right" way to do that I would appreciate it - otherwise I may have to go through all possible permutations until something works. I did see something in the comments on the HDMI detective plus box that you referenced above that made me wonder if there's a trick with power cycling that might solve this. Any thoughts?

Am I right to be confused? Tomorrow is Father's day - armed with this thread I may be able to persuade the family that what dad really needs is a new TV. :-)

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You are correct, the component video is one way. The issue here would be that the converter box isn't compatible with the apple tv either, though it should be. You could try a different converter, and maybe get lucky on the 3rd one. I've had other customers that had success with the model I recommended, though apple may have caught on and programmed the newer appletvs not to recognize this type of converter, as using them is a common way for people to copy protected itunes rentals.

The power cycling trick, I think we went over before, but generally involves powering everything down, then you turn on the display first, followed by the converter or receiver if using one, then the source device (appletv).

Have you ever had anything working on the dvi input of the Olevia?
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK now it gets weird.
Power cycled everything in the order you suggested.
When the apple TV started up the TV displayed the apple logo - briefly. Then "not support" again.
Tried it on another TV that used to work... Same thing happens. So it seems that there is no longer a "but it works on this other TV" - that's new because I know I have watched movies on the other TV before, using the original interface box.

Now the Apple TV did at one point "freeze" and I had to reload the software; I am beginning to suspect that I got the "upgrade" that makes it not work with component video...

I'm off to the store to get a new TV. Thanks for your help. I'm marking this one as "closed" - and hope you will have better luck in the future!