dukey01
dukey01,

The TV screen shows "invalid format" when I connect the HDMI

The TV screen shows "invalid format" when I connect the HDMI cable from my Lenovo PC laptop to my Sony Bravia TV KDL-40M4000.
Category: TV
Expert:  beboo replied 2 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a third-party paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

This usually means that the resolution you are trying to use on the TV is outside it's rage.

BeBoo :

range*

BeBoo :

What version of Windows are you running?

Customer :

Windows 7, I just bought my Lenovo at Best Buy

BeBoo :

Ok, thanks. Right-click on your desktop and choose Screen Resolution

BeBoo :

In the image above, you should see two boxes (1 and 2)

Customer :

ok, then what?

Customer :

I see the 2 boxes ....

Customer :

BeBoo wake up lol....

Customer :

still waiting for your instruction

BeBoo :

Sorry, I had to step away

Customer :

ok what next?

BeBoo :

Ok, so one will be your monitor (usually '1'), the TV will be the other. Choose the second monitor (box) and change the resolution. Click Apply and see if the TV shows an image. Keep trying this until the picture shows up and looks good. Start at the top and work your way down.

BeBoo :

Try choosing a "Recommended" if there is ne

BeBoo :

one*

Customer :

no TV image shows , just invalid format on lower left hand corner of TV.

BeBoo :

1024x768 should definitely work

BeBoo :

On the display drop down, you are changing the one for the TV, correct?

BeBoo :

If it still doesnt work, try clicking Advanced settings, then the Monitor tab. Try changing the refresh rate.

Customer :

still nothing....on the TV remote in input is on HDMI 1 correct?

BeBoo :

If that is the input you are using, yes.

BeBoo :

Check the back of the TV to make sure you are in HDMI 1

BeBoo :

Perhaps try a different port

Customer :

I have already tried everything you have suggested.

BeBoo :

Ok, in that case, I will opt out and allow another expert to take a look.

BeBoo :

Actually, just a few other quick ideas...

BeBoo :

In that same window, the last drop down (I can't remember what is it labeled off the top of my head), is it set to Extend these displays?

Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
Since the TV is 720p, set the resolution 1280x720, make sure you have the correct HDMI input selected on the TV and restart the laptop.
dukey01,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
restarted laptop but nothing has changed, same problem persists.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
What can you tell me about the HDMI cable you are using? Do you have another you can swap out to see if that's the issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a Belkin HDMI cable, The VGA cable worked for awhile last year then stopped working. I thought it was the Sony Vaio PC I previously had but is not connecting with my new Lenovo either. This is a real mystery
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.

Does toggling the Fn + F7 keys have any effect? What model Lenovo do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a Belkin HDMI cable, The VGA cable worked for awhile last year then stopped working. I thought it was the Sony Vaio PC but is not connecting with my new Lenovo either.

Lenovo V570
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.

So, neither the VGA or the HDMI work on the TV?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct, used to work using VGA cable on Sony Vaio, then just stopped.
Expert:  dukey01 replied 2 years ago.
And the VGA won't work with the Lenovo? If that's the case I'll send this question over to the TV guys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks dukey01
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the only easy user doable tries:
  • connect using D-SUB 15 / VGA;
  • verify that the second display/monitor is enabled, extended;
  • temporarily set the Screen Resolution to 1024 X 768 or even lower;
  • ensure that the Screen Refresh Rate is set to 60 Hz;
  • the above would be about in the Display Properties of the laptop;
  • press Fn + F? keys a couple of times with slight pauses in between to cycle through laptop display only, laptop + TV, TV only.

Should none of the above be corrective, then all others would point to a hardware issue with the input circuitry of the Sony.

Please post back how things turned up and/or should you need additional information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Benimur, I will try this but can't today.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

Appreciate the update now and later when able.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had to hire a techie to come to my house. It was the PC resolution and had to adjust it to the "highest setting" for the TV to accept it. Go figure... works great now.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Great! Glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Appreciate the update.

This is not an Info Request.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ended up hiring someone to come to my house to correct my problem. *
*

**Jayne xxxxxxx