Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Samsung LN40A550P3F LCD TV (three years old) and have

I have a Samsung LN40A550P3F LCD TV (three years old) and have recently been experiencing some problems with the picture. I first noticed that yellows were tending to look dull and faded to more grayish hues and that bright colors (e.g., lights or flames in videos) appeared to saturate. Faces also seem to be saturating (likely whatever the brightest part of the image is simply saturating) and producing large single-color blotches in the display. Overall, the problem isn't that obvious until something bright is shown and the bright object (light, flame, monitor) saturates its region of the frame.

Also, the menus for picture settings, etc., seem terribly dulled, grayed, and as if the resolution is too low. Interestingly, if there is a bright and saturated region on the screen and I bring up the picture settings menu, the gray-blue translucent frame of the picture settings menu overlaid upon the saturated region seems to fix the saturation problem.

Another strange symptom is that when I switched the source from HDMI (the video I first noticed the problem during) to PC, where my laptop was connected, the last image from the HDMI source seemed burned into the screen despite currently displaying from the PC source. Then as I scrolled around a webpage on my laptop, the past images of the webpage would be burned in/ghosted in the background on the TV screen.

Doing a Picture Reset to the default picture settings did not help, nor did using a more "optimal" set of picture settings, so it appears it is something deeper than a bad calibration, probably hardware.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Are you able to get me a picture of the problem? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The picture below does not do the problem justice. The region at center that is circled is where a computer monitor is saturating. On the tv screen, this region is pixelated in bright pink with a duller gray/blue border, but the camera saturates it white due to the exposure time. The lower region in yellow looks fine in the picture by the camera (the sort of yellow I expect to see), but on the tv screen, it is much duller than this.

I first saw this problem on an HDMI connection from a DVD player. The problem persists on a Playstation 3 console connected with HDMI and with the PC connection. The Playstation has the same trouble with yellow colors and saturating bright regions of the screen. The PC connection simply looks low-resolution without crisp lines or outlines of the icons, almost like it is out of focus. Colors also seem washed out. The PC and Playstation connections both show this burn-in/ghosting problem where I can see previous images in the background of the currently displayed image (for example when scrolling on a webpage the text is ghosted in the background as I scroll around).

graphic
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, this could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at around $300 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over what the tv is worth as far as repair goes)

Also you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It might be getting worse, bright whites are sometimes showing up as bright pink. Some of these symptoms remind me of when the video card went bad on my desktop computer (ghosting and color problems). I guess this is a similar issue, but way more expensive on a television. When power cycling and the picture resets and calibration didn't fix it, I figured it would be something internal. Is there any chance it's the backlight or inverter (or anything cheap)? It sounds like any repair would cost as much as the television is worth. Oh well, she gave me a good 3 years at least...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No the backlight/inverter can cause a dark picture or a no picture situation but no video issues.

I am sorry, I wish I had better news but I think I agree, time for replacement here.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.