Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main

I have a Hitachi Ultravision Plasma TV - Model 42HDS52. Was

Customer Question

I have a Hitachi Ultravision Plasma TV - Model 42HDS52. Was working fine, then next time I tried to turn the power on via remote or the power botton on the right side of the TV the unit will not power up. The LED right light on the lower right-hand corner is lighting up, but it won't change over to the green LED light.

Any idea what is causing it not to power up?
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

If you could just answer the below info requests please this will help me a lot thanks!

What color is the light thats lit please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light that is lit is Red. If working correct it would turn to green, but can't get it to power up.
Hi

OK give me 10 to consult hitachi technical

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to get an answer from Hitachi Technical to give me an idea of what part might need to be replaced?

Hi

Yes I did
Their are a number of reasons why the set is stuck in standby, the powerboard may need to be replaced if I can locate a powerboard do you think you can fit it?

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if you can locate a powerboard I should have no issue fixing it assuming its realatively simple...
Hi

Theirs about 3 different versions of the board you will need to get the part number from your existing board so you just trace the powercord to the powerboard and on this board will be etched a partnumber or it may be on a sticky label, it may start off HAO

Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, I'll tear it apart in the next couple of days.
Hi

OK just come back here I think the board may be available for about $150

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the cover off the TV. Guessing the power board is not the EMI Filter that the power cord plugs right into? Guessing it's the circuit board right after?

Circuit board has DWIUB/263038 stamped in black on it. Below that is stamped JA05986-E

There is also a tiny fuse, the inside of it is all filled white - can't tell if blown. Fuse is a T6.3AH 250V

Let me know your thoughts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used a multimeter on the fuse, checks out o.k.

Model of TV: 42HDS52A

S/N: V5L005516
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wiggled the wires around, powered up the TV w/o the back on and now it seems to work? Did I get lucky?
Hi

Yes you got lucky for now biut the fault will return yes it is the board right after the filter, now because its fired up theirs probably bad joints on the board if you can use a soldering iron then it may be worth having a good solder about on suspect joints however if you need to save time then you should be able to get that powerboard here, www.shopjimmy.com, I think you have give me the filter board part numbers?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The numbers are right off the power board. It's the green circuit board.
Hi

The little board is the filter board that has the JA05986e number and fuse on thats not the board this filter board will go off to the powerboard proper its the numbers on here that count, I think the powerboard will start off with a JA number too

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an email address? I can send you pictures of what I'm looking at...
Hi

You will see the powersupply board at the bottom here you see their are two versions shown I think their are three versions of this board it looks like the part number begins HA

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42hds52

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only number I see on the power board (larger board with lightening symbol on it a few times) is number HA0157, there are others but that is the only one that starts out in HA....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't wiggle any wires on the power board, only the "Filter" and small circuit board right after the "Filter".
Hi

http://www.shopjimmy.com/hitachi-ha01572-power-supply.htm

Out of stock here but you dont want to pay more than $100 for the board so google that part number HA0157 as this is the number you need, it will be available also have a look on ebay for one (assuming the fault returns)

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it working, but as soon as I put the rear panel back on and hung it on the walk it quit working again. Sure that is a sign of a bad power supply?
Hi

Theirs something of a bad connection/dry joint in there
Please re-check all the connectors in the set..... plugs and sockets

Then if you can get the set to come on again, (it should come on as its done that before)you will need to tap around the boards with an insuated tool (I use the handle of a heavyish screwdriver)and try to bring the fault on again whatever board is shutting the set down will respond to a tapping action as its dry joints or similar thats causing this, it did look like powerboard and this is def what I would have changed, however faults like this can turn out to be an elimination exercise, just tapping the boards with the insulated end of a screwdriver will narrow down what board is at fault (at least it should do)theirs nothing really else that can be done other than swopping more boards because of the intermittent nature of the fault

Let me know about this

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the end of a screwdriver and tapped around the unit, and removed and replaced connectors going to the power supply board. Couldn't reproduce the fault. TV works fine before putting on rear panel and brackets to hang on wall. As soon as I hang it on the wall it won't work. This time after hanging on the wall I gently pounded on the back of the unit. That allowed it to work again....for now.
Hi

Theirs something of a bad connection it could even be a break in the print itself , have you replaced the powerboard?

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not replaced the power board yet....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not replaced the powerboard yet....
Hi

It is a difficult call this
You do have either a crack in the print itself on any board or a dry joint thats why its so intermittent.Hanging it on the wall is distorting the chassis and boards of the set as though they are being "bent" slightly this is enough to disturb the bad connection so make the set go off, I have had probs like this before were it only happened with the back on, im sorry but you are going to have to replace the powerboard and hopefully it resolves the issue

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put in a new Power board as the TV finally would not power up. With the New Power Board the red light shows up - but I can not get the green light to show up which means its actually working. If I pound on the back of the TV above the fan I can see an LED light flash on for a couple of seconds and the fan turns on and I can power the TV up - but then it shuts down right away and I can see the LED light turn off and the fan shuts down. So, I don't think its just the power board that is not working. Thoughts what else to replace/check?

Hi

This is a tough one.
With the red light on you now need to use a meter to see if the switch on voltage from the mainboard is appearing it should be marked on the powerboard as Pon_5volts so you press the button on the set itself ideally and see if this voltage drops or stays the same
Can you do that?if you cant see it let me know but it should be marked on the powerboard itself

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll take a look later tonight.
Hi

OK

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are talking about the red light on the front of the TV correct?
Yes its not unlatching from standby

A
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the top and bottom side of the Powerboard and found no marking with Pon_5volts?
Hi

OK CN63 plug on the powerboard their should be 5voltsdc on pin 1 and on pin 3 should be 3.3voltsdc check that in standby and when you press the on/off switch

Also check 6 and 7 on the same plug both in standby and when you press the button let me know the results

Anthony