Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my lg 37ld450 Standby light keeps flashing and the tv screen

Customer Question

my lg 37ld450 Standby light keeps flashing and the tv screen has line across the screen
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name is Tim, I am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-Is the light flashing a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

-Can you describe the line? (what color, how thick, where exactly, etc.)

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tim,

It's the red standby light that flashes on and off with no pause i.e 6 blinks etc.

The lines are green, with a pink background. There is also a thick orange bar across.

The same problem occurs whether I try any devices connected.

For some unknown reason, it started up out of the blue yesterday. We turned it off and got the same problem when turning it back on.

The unit is 12 months old.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, the menu does not show. It remains striped.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main board or t-con, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $200-$300 for the repair.

Either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Just wanted to follow up and see if you needed anything further. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.