Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Samsung LN40B75 TV. The problem is with the energy

I have a Samsung LN40B75 TV. The problem is with the energy saver function. The picture did flutter and then return correct after a short time but now it will flutter and then go black. This sometimes last for several minutes. Sometimes I have to turn the set off and then on again. I have tried watching with the energy saver set at low, medium and high and the results are the same. It is my understanding that this happens more often in the auto setting. How can I solve this problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Hi! Thank you for using Just Answer today! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What makes you believe this has anything to do with the energy saver function?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I change the energy saver setting the problem ususally stops at least for a while. When reading about this online others said the energy saver was their problem

The tv is about 2-3 years old

we use the TV about 95% of the time on th cable so I really have not seen the problem on other set ups

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu flutter too or does it stay perfect?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The menu does not flutter but the picture in the back ground continues to flutter
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you test another device like DVD and see if it flutters too?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try a DVD but sometimes it takes a while before it will flutter.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No problem take your time, the more thorough we can be the better we can determine exactly where your problem lies.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will start a DVD now. How long should I wait if it doesn't do the flutter thing?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
How often does it happen?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tonight it has been everyh few minutes.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok well give it 10 or 15 then, if its going to do it it should do it in that time.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That sounds good to me.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has been over 15 minutes and the picture was fine. I returned to cable mode
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Did the picture act up as soon as you went back to cable?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Within 3 minutes it began to flutter

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Does it stop fluttering on its own?
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This time it did without going black. It fluttered for about 45 seconds to a minute and then returned to a regular picture
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
ok next time it starts flickering, as soon as it does...switch to dvd and see if it stops.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I switched to the DVD the screen before the DVD started was still fluttering. When the DVD started it was not fluttering. I turned the DVD player off and the screen from the cable input was still fluttering
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
So the blank dvd screen was fluttering?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you turn the DVD player off it switches to the cable input automatically and that picture was fluttering. When I turned on the DVD player there is screen which comes on before the DVD was fluttering but the DVD did not
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
How is the DVD hooked to the tv?
How is the cable box hooked to the tv?

The choices are:

Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both DVD (this is a Samsung Home Theater) and the cable are connected with HDMI cables
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK what seems odd to me then is the fact that this only happens when watching cable and not dvd....this is making mean lean towards you having a bad cable box and not a bad tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One thing I could try is the next time it flutters is to switch to the feed which is cable and dose not go through the box
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes then if you still have the problem then we know its not the box.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I was waiting it fluttered and I switched to the other input and it continued to flutter. I have also looked at another TV at the same time and it does not flutter
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK so you got it to flutter on 2 inputs now?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok then if its affecting more than one input and the menu is fine, you are not looking at a problem with the energy saver or anything like that...I am osrry, looks like the info you got is not going to be right. What you have here would be a bad main board. The bad news here is to have one replaced runs around $300. I am sorry, I wish I had better news, I know you were hoping for an easier fix, as was I.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry it was not an easy fix also. I believe you should pay for services recieved even if the results are not what you hope for and I appreciated your time and effort.