Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my samsung model #hpt4254x/xaa plasma tv shuts off in 3 minutes

my samsung model #hpt4254x/xaa plasma tv shuts off in 3 minutes and clicks... whats wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question!

A few boards can cause this. Do you want to get inside the TV yourself? Or are you more interested in how much this will cost to repair?

Best,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan. thanx for your response,,,, i already have the back of the tv off , checking around for burned capacitors, cannot find any. so yes. ready to fix...curtis
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Not looking for burnt caps, Chris... just domed ones... even slightly puffy on top. Any of those?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok dan, i checked caps and none appear to be domed......no puffiness..curtis
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, Curtis... I thought it said your name was Chris. Ok moving on...

With the back panel removed, find the y-sustain board. It's on the left... a large board, with heat sinks on it. Disconnect that board from the power supply board.

Now turn the TV on. You won't have a picture, but let's see if it still shuts down and clicks in 3 minutes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey dan... disconnected y sustain...turned tv on , and it started clicking in 3 minutes.....it turned itself on now..... curtis
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Is this the connector you just disconnected?
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah dan thats the one disconnected....c
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you can reconnect that one. Now disconnect the one just beneath it... that one goes to the X-main board. With the X-main disconnected, try to turn the TV on.

Still shutting down w/clicks?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I'm stepping out for about 20 minutes, so I'll go ahead and post the next step just in case it's still shutting down with the X-main disconnected.

Go ahead and reconnect the X-main, then disconnect the logic board from the power supply:
graphic

Now try to turn the TV on.

Still shutting down w/clicks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Dan, this time it started clicking in less than 2 minutes...ok dan and then i went ahead to the nxt step and still clicking ,,, thanx, curtis
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, great. We've eliminated the y-main and the buffers, the x-main, and the logic board. You have a bad power supply board... the brown board in the middle. Replace it, and you should be good to go.

Be sure to get the part number from the board itself before you look for a replacement. That way, you can be sure you're ordering the right one. I've listed some suppliers, below.

New parts
encompassparts.com
searspartsdirect.com
partstore.com
pacparts.com

Refurbished parts
moduslinkptstvboards.com
tristatemodule.com

Used parts
shopjimmy.com
eBay.com

I'm here to work with you until you're completely satisfied, so please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Best,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hey Dan ....Thanks for all your help.....both with the tv and the partslist..Have a good holiday weekend too... Curtis

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome, Curtis! And again, I'm here to work with you until you're completely satisfied, so please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Best,
Dan T.