TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My Vizio TV won't turn on though it is connected to power

Customer Question

my vizio tv won't respond but power is to it, the control front lights are locked on, and I've rebooted it multiple times. It has a blank screen with no sound. all remotes don't work and touch control on tv doesn't work
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Does your touchpad stay permanently lit, or only when you touch the buttons ?

As odd as it sounds, your description describes possible surge to TV's Micro. How the touchpad is behaving relates to how the Micro is behaving.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
permanently lit
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, and they used to stay unlit before, correct?

Notice any storms recently? If not, any recent power outages ? All the clocks in your home blinking recently?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

use to be unlit

When i reboot, it is unlit. then i touch the on button and all the controls to the touch panel simply come on with no response

have a high quality surge protector

no storms or other blinking clocks

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, then the micro is likely just plain bad....

I want to make sure that when you unplugged it to reset it, that you unplugged it for a FULL 5 minutes.

It takes that long for the power supply to drain its standby voltage off so the Micro will actually turn off and reload its start up programming.

If you have let it stay unplugged that long, let me know.

The next thing we will need to do is actually look at your TV's main board.

There's 4 main boards for your TV set, and we need to get the correct code number so we can search for suppliers.

Make sure you've unplugged it for 5 minutes. If it doesn't work, then take the TV, lay it on a padded table face down so you can remove all the screws on the back. Pull the cover off, and I'll get you information on where the code number is ***** the board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5 minutes and still same.

are the a zillion screws to remove the panel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok panel removed.

now what?

leave instructions

PS can i return to this session later?

gotta drop someone off to airport

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Darn...spent too much time making a picture for you

Contact me when you get back to your TV set.

Well, it's a matter of perspective...I unscrew with a Hitachi drill and philips bit, but as backup, I use a Philips head screwdriver. One's fast and easy, the other isn't BAD...but you have to remove --

Screws around the outer edge of the Cover.

Screws down the middle, including the stand if it's on top of the plastic cover, not under it.

Screws on and around the Input jacks that secure the jacks to the back cover so they don't fall into the TV set when pushing a connector on.

Vizio service manuals don't have a disassembly picture in them to show what screws to remove, so I'm forced to make one ---

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Panel removed.
Now what?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

GV47LFHDTV

IF you click on the picture, it gets larger. You can look closely at the board, find the code number they give you.

Once you do that...then we have a code number we can search with.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

364-70012-0150(5B)

a local repair place says to be careful buying online parts because I don't have a way to test if this is the exact problem.

Your info and thoughts please.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, that's why we use the same exact places as he does. We know which ones we prefer to get parts from too.

3647-0012-0150 is 3647-0022-0395

You can buy it here -

http://www.encompassparts.com/item/8261176/Encompass_Certified_Part/3647-0022-0395/Rebuilt_Main_Board_Assy.

http://www.vizparts.com/product_detail.php?pid=1301

Those are the sites I trust.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
checking prices and other opinions,but you may be correct. The TV repair guy says it might be simpler than you say.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

He's probably thinking the touch pad is bad, but it lights up and stays lit. It's responding to your touch. When they go bad, you don't get any response from the pad.

The micro isn't responding from what you are stating. No sound, TV doesn't even Light up a little. You can't turn it off All those functions, including the lamps lighting up are controlled by the Micro. None of those respond, and since you can't even TURN OFF the TV, that's why I know the micro is bad.

Powering ON and Powering OFF....both of those have the highest priority in the micro's ports/inputs. You can turn it on because the touchpad responds. You should be able to turn it off if the micro was good. You shouldn't have to unplug it.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.