alr3d
alr3d, Technician
Experience:  tv repair
6460921

hi, I have an lg pdp50x3 50" plasma that wont power up (switch

hi, I have an lg pdp50x3 50" plasma that wont power up (switch on), when i press the input button to switch it on you here the relay click and within a few seconds it goes back to standby. any help would be much appreciated, thanks, leyton.
Category: TV
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

this is a issue inside the tv. is this something you are fixing yourself? or do you need a cost on a repair?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, YES IM GONNA HAVE A GO MYSELF.

Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok pull the back off and take a picture with the back off the tv. then use the paper clip button above to attach the picture.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
for some reason it wont upload my photos, sorry
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
are you getting a error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i get a couple of leds light up on one of the pcbs you here a quiet buzz from the ysus board the tv goes back to standby.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

when you try to load the pictures... do you get a error?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it doesnt get that far, so im getting no picture at all, it seems that its going to standby just before the picture comes on.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

can you email the pictures to

experts@pearl.com

i will get them in a few hours then reply and show you what to do.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no problem, ive just sent them.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok when they get them to me i will reply back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
THANK YOU :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ive just realised you were talking about the pictures not the tv picture, stupid me.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

yes i need pictures of the tv with the back off.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its ok i sent them an hour ago, when you said is there an error message i thought you meant from the tv.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

no problem

i will let you know when they send them to me.

Allan

Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok got the pictures

1. check the fuses i have marked in the picture.

2. i marked a connector in blue. on the left of the connector on the board it tells you what each wire is. tell me what each one is.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, fuses are good, ive visually checked all capacitors and they look fine, the cable youve circled are as followed- from top to bottom on power board( v-s,v-s,v-s,nc,gnd,gnd,gnd,gnd,v-a,v-a) then on the YSUS board from top to bottom( +va,+va,gnd,gnd,gnd,gnd,nc,+vs,+vs,+vs).
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok tv unplugged

ohm VS and VA to ground. use the metal part of the panel as ground. tell me what the readings are.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
va = .535 and vs = .477
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
is this ohms or meg ohms or k ohms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2k
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok good

i now need a DC reading from the same two points with the tv on. you may have to turn it on several times to get these readings.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, i switch on the tv and theres about 3-4 seconds delay, then theres a quiet buzzing coming from ysus board then just after the buzzing I started to get to about 40v dc from vs and va then it just goes back to standby so its impossible to get an accurate reading.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok unplug the connector are retest points on the board itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry when you say retest points what do you mean?
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
the DC voltages on vs and va. but you will test it on the pins this time because the connector will be unplugged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will try it now.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
testing at power board, no voltage at vs and im getting 40vdc at va just before it shuts down.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok plug back in connector. then unhook the connector in the new marked picture. then retest voltages on the same connector we have been working on.

also tell me a little about the noise you hear from the y-sus board.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im getting 0.7vdc from vs and 1.8vdc at va it then rises to about 40vdc as it shuts down. the noise is actually coming from the power board and its like a quiet whining sound.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
yes i think we have a bad power board. the VS never comes up and should be over 100v dc.i would replace it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks for your patience and help andrew, im actually a gas engineer by trade so im used to fault finding on pcbs but when i opened the tv i almost fainted, anyway thanks again. by the way how do i pay?
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
i will send the accept button now
alr3d, Technician
Experience: tv repair