Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

My directv receiver upstairs stopped working recently. It has

My directv receiver upstairs stopped working recently. It has been working fine and it has an error code on it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stewart,

What is the error code - I assume this is showing on your TV.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
771a and yes
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stewart,

A simple reboot make correct this - the receiver will do a new download and authentication.

To reboot - power it off, then unplug it for about 2 minutes. Plug it back in and power it on - the TV should show that it is re-acquiring, and loading (can take about 10 minutes).

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience: FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. ill go try that
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

Let me know if you still have problems, that usually corrects it. If not, with it powered on, remove the access card - wait a few seconds and then re-insert it. It will restart again - but removing the power is a better option to try first.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried both of those and neither worked
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

When you powered it off and unplugged it - did it do the acquiring satellite and show the loading bar?

Is this a high definition receiver?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is HD. It did show the loading bar but it didn't load.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

This means then that it is not getting all of the satellite signals. It can be just a loose connection. Power it off and re-tighten the coax cable. If you have a inserter on your receiver - check the connections on that also - and any power connection to it.

Check the multiplexer the installer placed for your multiple receivers and the connections.

Did you install a splitter on the cable? If so, you are blocking the signal to the receiver.

If this does not correct the problem - then there is a fault with the receiver. The only alternative is to have DirecTV replace the receiver.

It can be an alignment error of the dish - have you have high winds recently?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No high winds. The other upstairs tv is working fine and all the cables appear to me tightened.
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

The 771a means the receiver is not receiving all of the satellite signals. This can be the SWM (the multiplexer). This is where the three coax cables from the dish come to and then the single cable to each receiver. Many are powered - check the power connection to the SWM. If you have a unused port on the SWM, switch that bedroom connection to the unused port and see if that corrects the problem.

This can be a bad coax connection, faulty coax, bad SWM, or bad receiver - if you try all of the steps - and no positive results - then you will need DirecTV to come out for service.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved the receiver to a different TV that works and the receiver still doesnt work. The TV that I moved the receiver to had a reveiver on it and i moved that reciever to my TV and it works
Expert:  Rod replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve,

That would indicate the receiver has a fault - as your testing has eliminated the connections or the SWM (the multiplexer). Your only option is to contact DirecTV for a replacement.

If you have the service plan - they will send you a replacement - and you ship back the faulty receiver in the packaging that the replacement receiver arrives in.

If you do not have the service plan - then there will be a charge for a replacement receiver.

Thanks,
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair