TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

My 3d is not working. I have a Sony Bravia Tv connected to

My 3d is not working. I have a Sony Bravia Tv connected to a Playstation 3 that I use for playing DVDs, and Sony 3D glasses. It was working fine until recently. Can you help me please? I am not very technically minded so simp,e instructions would be much appreciated! Reset PS3 to default settings
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

3D signal is detected...that tells you the PS3 is sending a 3D signal to the TV, so it's properly communicating it's signal to the TV set.

Since your glasses flash, that means your TV is sending it's emitter signal OUT to the glasses.

But....

Have you tried the TVs 2D to 3D setting? We use that to test the TV's processing circuits, the TV's emitter circuits to see if the TV syncs the glasses or not.

Do you have rechargeable glasses, or do you have to replace the batteries with new ones? Usually that's the most common failure I see, old batteries that barely work, but they do work.

If you haven't replaced them, and they have some age to them, that's the first thing I would try.

Test it with the 2D to 3D conversion setting. See if they sync up, or if you get that split screen look. Weak batteries don't pick up the emitter signal very well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just changed the battery in my glasses yesterday. I pressed the 3D button on my Tv remote and get the double image that shows it is in 3D (if that is what you mean?)
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

The TV is supposed to have the double image, but the 3D glasses isn't....you state the glasses flicker so the glasses should be synced. Are they?

That's why I test with the 2D to 3D setting first. If the TV and glasses are fine, you get a properly locked picture through the glasses.

You have to Divide and Conquer the problem and that's how we do it. Break the whole system down into pieces (glasses, TV, Cable, DVD player, DVD disc) and verify what works and what doesn't.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've solved it! The 3D sync transmitter had fallen down behind the TV. Duh!
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Oh you're kidding me...the emitter is standalone instead of being integrated into the TV set?

I haven't seen standalone units since 2008. Well, glad you found it. And don't forget...software updates. Keep them updated if you're running 3D games and DVDs.

That's real important if you get a new 3D disc that doesn't work, and the older ones do.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please tell me how to do the software updates? Is that on the PS3 or the TV (or both?). Cheers!
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You should always check BOTH.

http://www.sony-mea.com/section/support

TV and PS3 should show up on that site, all you need is your PS3 or TV model number. It takes you to the model page, and lists Software/Firmware upgrades.

With Firmware, you do have to actually setup your TV or PS3 again, just like you had to do when you first purchased the units.

So, before any updates, it's best to write down all your present settings, then perform the updates, and access each unit connected, THEN set your settings. The reason why is EACH INPUT remembers the settings in the menu.

Especially the 3D settings on your PS3 input.

Sony usually provides details on what each upgrade does....example is it -- corrects audio issues or 3D issues, or allows a certain DVD to play properly. I always read them to see if they will correct a problem or not. If not, then I usually avoid the upgrade.

And when you do upgrade, the upgrade does not take effect until the unit is completely powered down, unplugged for one minute, then restarted.

There are minor tricks to getting the update to load, so keep that in mind too...

TVs and PS3s are more computer-like nowadays, so treat your updates like you are installing them on a computer. You usually have to shut it down and restart it for the updates to actually load.