Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Hitachi plasma TV has the blue light blinking and there

My Hitachi plasma TV has the blue light blinking and there is no picture. The only way to turn the unit off is to cut power. After cutting power, I can turn the TV on, but can't turn it off or get any response.
The numbers on the TV are:
It was purchased in September of 2007.
Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks,
pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As mentioned earlier, we purchased it in September 2007. The problem occured on Friday 5/11/12. It blinks in a pattern. 3 blinks then pause.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set
back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have follows your instructions. Now it blinks 4 times, then pause.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The 4 blink code on your set indicates a protective shutdown due to a short seen on one of the outputs of the power supply. This is typically caused by faulty SDR boards on the Plasma panel of the TV. Unfortunately this requires voltage testing to determine if the problem is the boards, or the power supply itself having a fault. The average cost for this type of repair is going to be between $250-$400 parts and labor depending on which board has the fault. You can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area if you'd like: