TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

We have a Vizio E321VL There is power to the Tv but will not

We have a Vizio E321VL
There is power to the Tv but will not turn on by remote or side button. I believe the power supply panel is not working. Is there a kit available to fix capacitors for this model?
What happened exactly...the tv is in our bedroom and when I turned it on...a white VISIO logo was on screen and I couldn't get it to change channels or turn off or on so unplugged tv thinking it might reset...but now it won't come on at all. But there is power because the orange visio logo light is on in the front of set. I'm thinking it is broken but I am not tech minded and could have pushed the wrong or too many buttons.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Sounds like your micro may have been dead or dying. If your lights work, then the micro can at least turn that on, but it doesn't sound like it's getting any further. Then when you unplugged it, and plugged it back in, it lost it's ability to turn on the lights at all.

Corrupt software is what I suspect.

Can you operate a voltmeter like this one ?

graphic

I suspect you have good power to your micro since you could turn the TV on and off before....but it's always nice if you can double-check it.

You didn't push a bunch of wrong buttons...engineers anticipate that little kids and really old people are going to be operating the buttons, so they build the TV to ignore that type of behavior. I would make sure I unplugged the power cord for a good 5 minutes to ensure a hard reset of the micro so it reloads it's software properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We left the set unplugged overnight. Plugged in still doesn't turn on....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, how about the voltmeter...Yes or No, can you operate one ?

Yes or No, do you happen to have one ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No...
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, well logic analysis dictates your power supply is likely good and your micro is likely bad.

Remove the rear cover on your TV, by laying the TV face down on a padded table, and removing the screws around the outer edge, the TV's stand and the screws around the input jacks on your TV set. Look at the board with all the input jacks on it --

graphic

Get all the numbers listed on that sticker.

Let me know what they are.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok....getting my husband......will take a few minutes....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HOLY TOLEDO! What a mess we've got ourselves into...... 3 numbers were on barcode

The barcode # XXXXX are....3632-1512--0150(4D)

or

OKM577BBQ38864D

or

CSD: 3632 1512 0395

sorry didn't know which of the three was the one needed......

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My husband says he has a voltmeter.....
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

3632-1512--0150

That's the board's number and yes...you can GOOGLE it to find suppliers of that part.

And

If your husband has a voltmeter ---

graphic

Now, there are about 5 different power supplys for your TV set. But ALL have the SB standby voltage marked on the plug that connects the power supply to the main board.

And the power supply is real easy to find....it's the ONLY board that has the power cord connected to it.

Trace the cord to the board...then look for a large cable that connects directly from the power supply to the main board I had you get the number from.

If you have the 5.2 volt SB wire with 5.2 Volts on it, then your power supply is ok, and the main board is bad.

It has to be one or the other....that's what makes your TV turn on, and it isnt' turning on.

TOO Confusing for you ??

Take a picture of your TV's entire chassis -- all the boards on it. Then I can do something like THIS to help you --

graphic

Of course, I'll ADD the cable to look at on yours, and research the power supply and get a close up of the cable between the power supply and the main board.

But right now, I'm pretty sure you're going to find that the 5 Volt line is ok, because your TV DID LIGHT UP THE LAMPS until it got unplugged and reset.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.....I am going to hang on to this info and may order the parts...but looks like I will get in touch with Visio and depending on what they say....may end up with new part or new tv. Thanks.....j
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

No problem, figure out the choices they provide you with, I'll help you with the TV set.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.