Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Philips model 42PF7321D/37 when turned on the green

Customer Question

I have a Philips model 42PF7321D/37 when turned on the green light is on for 10 seconds.
It turns off and the pilot light flashes 4 times and stops for 3 seconds and red starts all over again...There is no sound and raster. The power supply board was changed, but this seems to have made no difference...The TV is still broke...any ideas???
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Are the new and old power supply acting 100% the same?

Do you know how to use a meter?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I own two VOMs and was an engineer for Philips 18 years in another divsion.

Both power supplies act the same...no difference..
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to get me a picture of the tv with the back off so I can mark on it where we need to test? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original power supply board # XXXXX XXXXX PS-424-ph Rev .55 The replacement board is # XXXXX PS-424-ph graphicscan 0003Rev 0.7 I also replaced Caps on the old board C8059 and C8060 (10V 3300mf ) and still no sound or picture...I have attached a picture of the chassis.

Thanks

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Fran, I see no pictures, where did you send them?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought it was attached Sorry...Should I try again or do you gave an e-mail address?

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I am not allowed to give out an email, if you send them XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX they can forward it to me.

Tim
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Just wanted to check on you and see if you ever sent those photos?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep. two days ago...A woman in your office acknowleded them and was forewarding to you...I can find her name in needed

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Did you put it in a PDF?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep... it was scan0003.pdf

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked the fuses on the sustain boards there?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim

No, but I'll pull every fuse I can find and advise back.

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, no need to pull them, you can check them in circuit. There is one on the Y sustain and one on the Z sustain right next to where the large plugs from the power supply plug in.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tested the five fuses I found.

4 on the power supply board LJ44-00101C and 1 on X main board LJ41-02758A.
All tested good... I can find anymore.

Frank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There is one on the Y sustain....

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi

I can't make a full image with what yousent...what is the board number and postion of this fuse....
I'll try to find it.

Fank
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I see that, sorry not sure why that picture came through so bad.

If you are looking at the back of the tv, this fuse is on the Y sustain board just to the left of the power supply.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found it and it was good...

Frank

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The board number was LJ41-02759A

Frank

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you see the two skinny boards on the left side of the tv? One goes from the top half way down and one from half way down to the bottom? I need you to take the top one out of the tv, turn it on...any change?

If not, put the top one in and take the bottom one out...any change?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the boards out one at a time and no change what so ever....I took the upper board
out and tested ...I put it back ...than took out the lower board.. the red light blinks 4 times
and no picture or sound,,

Frank

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK are the VS and VA voltages coming up out of the power supply?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK... What's next?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I need you to test the VS and VA voltages coming out of the power supply.

Tim