Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

i have a 55" philips lcd tv it is flickering to a black screen

Customer Question

i have a 55" philips lcd tv it is flickering to a black screen not all the way black yet was told by a friend that the capasitor was going out what do you think is the problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question!

My name is Dan, and I have a couple quick questions for you:

1. Does the same issue occur if you use a different video source like the DVD player, VCR, game console, etc.? Or just on the cable programming?
2. How fast is it flickering? Like a strobe light?

Best,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it does it with a dvd it is fading to black all you can see is bright colors on all channels
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I'm confused. It fades to black, but you're still seeing bright colors? Can you take a picture?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the screen is black but in the back ground you can see the show that is on the tv. Its like the show is comming through like a picture negative.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth professional repair? If you want to do it yourself, do you own and know how to operate a voltmeter?