Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

Hitachi 65SWX20B 65-Inch 16:9 Rear Projection HDTV-Ready TV Were

Hitachi 65SWX20B 65-Inch 16:9 Rear Projection HDTV-Ready TV
We're getting a "dark screen". Night time scenes of tv shows are unusually dark, and it's difficult to make out details on the screen as the people meld right into the dark background. Light (daytime) scenery looks much better, but those brighter colors don't look as true as they did either. This problem just started 2 days ago, seemingly out of nowhere. We've tried the Magic Focus on the tv and rebooting the cable box and neither made any difference.
Category: TV
Expert:  Master Fix It replied 2 years ago.
Hi I would be happy to assist you with this.
How old is the TV and have you ever had any trouble with the lamp?
Thank you
Tech Michael
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

The set is a rear projection set it doesnt have a lamp

Is it like this on other inputs please like a dvd?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael,
I'm at work right now and have the purchase paperwork (and tv) at home, so I can't say exactly, HOWEVER, I'm going to go off my memory and guesstimate that the tv was bought new in roughly 2007/2008. We have never had any repair to the tv since we bought it, or had this dark screen issue, so I guess the answer to the lamp question is no.
Thank you
Hi

Sorry you couldnt have read my post above
This set does not have a lamp lamps are only used in the main DLP sets

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control is the menu display dark too?

Let me know the answers to these info req please and we can move on

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony,
I don't know about the DVD images, because we didn't try that last night. We were playing around with the various video settings on the set's own remote control last night, and the menu display seemed darker as well. Although, to be perfectly honest, we never have need to use the TV remote, so it's literally been years since we've played with those settings, so I'm only saying that the menu display appeared dar as well, but I don't have a very good idea of how that display is normally supposed to look.
Thanks
Hi

OK that does tell me a lot about the issue please just give me 10 mins to check with any bulletins at hitachi .....please respond with OK

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks
Hi

No bulletins on this issue
Its likely to be a drive problem to the cathodes on the CRTs I have had spark-gaps cause this type of problem leaking and pulling down the cathode voltages

At this point theirs very little you can do on a very dangerous high voltage set like this(unless you have experience?)

You also have to consider the age of the set and if its worth throwing money at it the original life envelope for these sets was 5 years so its a credit they have run on so long

Let me know what you think here
Anthony
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main