Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My TV is stuck on Channel 3 and I cant get any other channels

Customer Question

My TV is stuck on Channel 3 and I can't get any other channels -- only snow results. I have always used two wands: a Panasonic to turn the set on and a TCI to change channels. (I was instructed to do this when the TV was set up for me; I don't know why.) Yesterday I dropped the TCI and the batteries popped out. I replaced them but nothing seems to help. What should I do and in what order?

This is a great service. Thank you! Georgia Hesse, San Francisco
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Are you connected with a cable box/receiver,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

I would suspect that you do have one of those receivers also called set top box , is that what you call the TCI remote , which would be the set top box remote ?

Jack :

I will be in standby, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

I am connected to a cable receiver. I don't know what a set top box is. Sorry.

Jack :

hello , that is the same thing , just different name

Jack :

so your TCI remote would be the cable box remote ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

Yes, that is what I think.

Jack :

o.k then , and is there any buttons for power, channels etc. directly on that cable box ?

Jack :

Is the cable box turned on ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

The buttons for power and channels are on the front of the set itself. Nothing is turned on at the moment.

Jack :

o.k but that cable box, does it have any control buttons directly on it ?

Jack :

or is it just a box that you can operate only with the remote

Jack :

?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

There are no buttons. Maybe it's not a cable box. You're dealing with a complete techie ignoramus here.

Jack :

yes it is a cable box , believe me, do you know if it is turned on ?

Jack :

is there a light or display at the front that shows it is turned on ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

There are no lights anywhere.

Jack :

O.k and on your tv`s remote , is there a button called INPUT or SOURCE ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

I see neither input nor source on either remote.

Jack :

You don`t happen to have your tv`s model number ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

I do see a button called DBSCBL on the Panasonic wand. I will see if I have the model # somewhere in the papers. I am upstairs and the set is down, which is why it's taking time.

Jack :

o.k but first

Jack :

Did you verify that the batteries that popped out earlier were re-inserted correctly in the remote ?

Jack :

Is there any activity on that TCI remote when you press the buttons ?

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

Yes, the batteries were re-inserted correctly. I'll try the TCI remote now. Meanwhile, I found this: "This receiver has a video input skip feature, which will allow user to skip input modes when pressing TV/VIDEO button."

Jack :

yes but then that would perhaps be your tv that needs the tv/video button to set it back to the cable box.
Sorry if i can`t be any more precise nbut without model numbers , i am in the dark as to your tv or cable box functions

Jack :

The only thing i can tell you is that as a tech. , i am used to look for the obvious which in this case is tha fact that the remote was dropped, if no settings have been changed on the tv after that point, then the first place to look is that remote that was dropped.

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

I just turned on the set, received the video but no audio. I have tried the Mute button on each wand but get no sound. On the front of the remote control guide I see this printed: EUR511502. Is that a model number?

Jack :

yes that looks like a model number.
You are saying that you now have the picture ?

Jack :

If so then try the volume control on either/both remote(wand) instead of the mute button.
If it still does not work then unplug the cable box power cord for 30 secs or so and try it again.

JACUSTOMER-1kl6172s- :

Since you seem to have disappeared, I will say goodby but not accept the charges. Thanks, anyway.

Jack :

disappear ??

Jack :

was waiting for you

Jack :

Thats o.k i can see that you have it working now , was nice spending the last hour with you .
Goodbye

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
.