Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My sony 60 inch grand wega TV has a greenish tint to the picture

My sony 60 inch grand wega TV has a greenish tint to the picture no matter what component i'm using cable, dvd, or video game. The bulb has been replaced in the last year what else could be the issue?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
60 inch sony grand wega that is 7 years old
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the actual model number for the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KDF-60XS955
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid I have no good news for you…

The problem you are describing is very common in your model, what has happened is the optical engine has failed and needs to be replaced. This is bad news because to have one replaced will run over $1000 in most cases. Sony had a major problem with these over time and actually had a extended warranty on them where Sony was replacing them free of charge. However these warranties have now expired and they are no longer repairing these problems at their cost.

The only good advice I can give you is to call sony customer service at 1-239-768-7547 and complain to them, allot of the times they will still repair this set for you at no cost or offer you a new set at a "discounted" price.

Again I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, but the optical block will need to be replaced. Calling Sony and complaining is your best course of action at this point.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you I read a lot about this and wanted to confirm i think unless they give me a discounted or free one i may go with a different TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yeah unfortuantely that is your problem, hopefully they will help you out. Let me know if you need anything further.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.