alr3d
alr3d, Technician
Experience:  tv repair

My Sony TV model KF50WE610 has a cloud of blue dots in the

My Sony TV model KF50WE610 has a cloud of blue dots in the center of the screen. Can you tell me what is the problem? Can it be repair locally, and how much will it cost?
Category: TV
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

do you see this on all inputs? like DVD?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blue dots are in the screen when I watch TV and when I watch .replay from my DVR recording from the cable company. But I don't have blue dots in the screen when I play a dvd on my home theater dvd.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok tell me what inputs you do not have the blue dots? in other words what is the input called on the tv?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what do you mean by an input? my cable company is called Knology located in Tampa Bay, Florida.

Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
the tv has inputs on it one your dvd is hooked to one you cable is hooked to one your dvr is hooked to. these are how you items hook to the back of your tv.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First the tv, the Panasonic DVD SA-HT900, and the Knology HDTV Cable Explorer 8300HD are plugged in the Monsters Power Audio Video PowerProtect AV600 that is plugged in the wall. Also, a set of 5 monster cables are plugged from the TV to the Cable Receiver (Explorer 8300HD). A set of Audio monster cable from the TV to the Panasonic DVD/CD Home Theater (SA-HT940.. Also, a cable wire from the wall to the Knology cable receiver (explorer 8300HD). The Panasonic DVD/CD player has 2 small cables (red and white) plugged to the TV just under the set of Audio monster cable. I hope that will help you. IThe set is back to the wall, I don't have a direct view of the back of the TV.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

when you switch inputs to go from DVD to cable there should be a on screen display that pops up on the tv telling you what input you are on. i need to know what input the tv is in when you do not see the blue dots?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I switch from TV to TV/VIDEO, I select DVD/CD on the player and press the button on the right side of the TV once, the screen reads DVD VIDEO. But from TV/VIDEO to TV, I press the button on the right side of the TV twice, then I see is AUX 2,then CABLE BOX comes up in the left corner on the TV with the selected channel.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

and the only time you see these dots is when you are on AUX2??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AUX2 has snow on the screen, it is a step in between DVD and Cable.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok but the only time you see the dots is when you are on the input labeled cable? right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok great... this cannot be a optical issue at all. if the optical where bad you would always see them. when you turn off the cable box are they still on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The TV does not play without the cable. I watched TV for a few minutes and I noticed that when the screen's background is bright I don't see the blue dots. The blue dots have been present for 6 to 7 months most of the time, but when the screen background is bright the dots aren't visible. Does this make sense?

Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

can you get to the back of the box and unhook just the video cable. i am not thinking this is a tv issue at this point.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I unhooked the video cable, the screen is black and the cloud of blue dots are visible.
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok this has to be an optical. but really you do not want to repair it. the cost is around 500.00 and this is a lot to put into a tv. i would put that money towards a new tv in this case.

Allan

let me know if you need more info?

alr3d, Technician
Experience: tv repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the problem with the optical block? how long can it take to loose the tv completely? It is expected to have a short live? Can it be cover under some warrantee?
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

thee filters in the optical are going bad. these parts we cannot buy to fix it. it could last another year before it gets real bad. this was a normal issue on your model and it has no warranty for it.

Allan