Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a Philips 42pfl3704d f7 and get sound but no picture.

Customer Question

I have a Philips 42pfl3704d f7 and get sound but no picture. In checking online, a few forums are saying in need to replace the inverter board(s), as when shining a flashlight on the screen, I can faintly see the Philips name. Any idea if there's a video out there that can guide me through this repair/replacement?
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

If you could just answer the below info requests please this will help me a lot thanks!

If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does this appea or not please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure. I was able to see the Philips name faintly on the screen when shining the flashlight on it, but I didn't check to see if the menu came up when using the remote.

I would try it now, but I removed the back and it's opened up on my bed.

Hi

I see
Its very likely the backlight is out and this is controlled by the invertors that is the two boards running down either side of the set, now it doesnt necessarily mean these are faulty check 1 is the voltage usually 27voltsdc is present from the powerboard, the invertors themselves are then examined and replaced, its a simple execise to do that if the invertors are not hidden under the chassis, if you take a photo of the set with the back off and upload it using the paper clip on your toolbar I will tell you what to do and if necessary advise where to obtain the invertors from

Let me know
Anthony
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, give me a sec and i'll send a picture

Hi

OK

Anthony
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Hi

OK I can see the one invertor on the right with the black insulator, their may be another though hidden under the metal I Will check this out just reply with OK and give me 15 mins

Anthony
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Hi

This set uses an invertor powerboard arrangement, I am just tracing the most likely suspect without getting involved with voltage measurements, so please call back in couple hours

Anthony
Hi

This set has a powerinvertor and invertor itself so the problem could be either or you can get pulled boards for this here, the powerinvertor is on the left of the AV input circuit board (the one with the RCA sockets)and the invertor proper is on the right, you can get both boards here

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42pfl3704d+f7

If you need any info on getting the boards out let me know but it will mean unscrewing andtaking off some covers to get at the right invertor, the powerinvertor is easy

Anthony