Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an older RCA Entertainment Series, XBOX Ready, Guide

I have an older RCA Entertainment Series, XBOX Ready, Guide Plus+ Gold Gemstar TV. Just recently (and on it's own), it started to bring up menu screens randomly. I can't see to turn these menu screens off. It starts with an Audio screen, and then it goes to the Guide Plus screen. I can't even watch tv anymore on it, as these menus keep coming up. To worsen the situation, I somehow got it set to the Spanish language setting and I can't seem to find where to change it back. Is there a reset button or something I can try? Thanks in advance~ =)
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

Does this happen in all input modes (tv, xbox, dvd, etc)?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

It appears to be

Customer:

let me confirm

p0llinate :

There is not a physical reset button, though unplugging the set from power (at least 4 hours, preferably up to 48 hours) can clear the memory and force a reset of the system.

Customer:

hmmmm

Customer:

I unplugged it (like a router or other) for 5 mins..

Customer:

but that did nothing

Customer:

you're saying unplug it for 4 hours?

Customer:

I was hoping for something a bit more technical than that, but ...... it's hard to troubleshoot remotely....

Customer:

so that's it? wow, what a waste of $21

p0llinate :

That is really the only thing you can do yourself. There are a lot of capacitors in the tv, and unplugging for 5 min is not enough to dissipate.

p0llinate :

If that does not help, then this would be a symptom of a defective control board (which is how the on screen menus are generated) and the set would need to be replaced. Though based on the age/type of the set, repairs are not likely practical. If you'd like to pursue repair anyway, let me know the full model number of the set and your zip and I can try to give you a more detailed estimate or refer you to a local shop that can take a look at it.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.