Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a 60 inch samsung DLP TV. It was working fine and then

I have a 60 inch samsung DLP TV. It was working fine and then it started to go dark with lines across and we hear a scraping sound coming from the bulb fan area. I ordered a new bulb from Samsung and put it in and no results. The cooling fan is working but we still here as scraping sound coming from near the lamp area. The new lamp does not come on at all. We get a "lamp" signal on the on/off switch.

What could be wrong?

Jim Silke
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How loud is the noise you hear?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The TV is about 5 years old. I have replaced the bulb twice since we bought it. It has worked perfectly until now.

What we hear is a sound like something spinning and scraping against something. The new bulb does not come on at all. The cooling fan next to the bulb is working and is quiet...the noise is above or next to the bulb area.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

What you have is actually very common in your model, in your set you have what is called a color wheel, the bearing in this goes bad and starts making this noise you are talking about. The only way to fix this is to have the color wheel replaced, if you decide to have this done professionally you will be looking at around $300-400.

If you have electronic repair experience and would like to attempt this yourself let me know and I can get you some information on completing this task. However I will warn you, I have seen many consumers like yourself destroy their set when they attempted a repair that should be left to a professional. But if you have experience and think it is something you can do let me know and I will help!

I am sorry I didn't have a quick fix for you on this one, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan