Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Vizio TV has sound but no picture

Vizio tv has sound but no picture

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show up?

-What is the model full number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model number is fhdtv10a 2008 model. The menu does not show because the picture does not come on at all. It's not my TV yet I was going to repair it. The current owner said they called Vizio and were told it was the main board.

Ok if you look at the TV screen, when on, do you see a slight glow?

Also there has to be more numbers in front of fhdtv10a. fhdtv10a is a good ending to the model number but there should be at least 4 more letters/numbers in front of it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
vw42l i don't have the tv yet so i don't know if the backlight is on. could you give ne a estimated assessment? maybe one assessment if the backlight comes on and one if not? i won't hold you to it i am just trying to get an idea. how accurate do you think the info may be that they called vizio? i mean how likely do you think vizio was right?

I think the assessment from vizio is horrible, almost never do you have sound no picture and it end up being a bad main board.

I would suspect the t-con, inverter or a power issue feeding the inverter before the main board. I would almost not even consider the main board at this point.

As far as prices...if its a power supply issue, it would probably be caps, so if you can solder you know your looking at $5. If you had to replace the power supply, its $50. The t-con sells for $35 and the inverter for $50. So the most we should end up spending in parts is $50. Unless you needed both inverters, then it would be $100 in parts.

The main board I cannot find in stock anywhere, but it sells for around $150, but again I do not think this is your issue.