Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Vizio TV has sound but no picture

Vizio tv has sound but no picture
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show up?

-What is the model full number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model number is fhdtv10a 2008 model. The menu does not show because the picture does not come on at all. It's not my TV yet I was going to repair it. The current owner said they called Vizio and were told it was the main board.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you look at the TV screen, when on, do you see a slight glow?

Also there has to be more numbers in front of fhdtv10a. fhdtv10a is a good ending to the model number but there should be at least 4 more letters/numbers in front of it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vw42l i don't have the tv yet so i don't know if the backlight is on. could you give ne a estimated assessment? maybe one assessment if the backlight comes on and one if not? i won't hold you to it i am just trying to get an idea. how accurate do you think the info may be that they called vizio? i mean how likely do you think vizio was right?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.

I think the assessment from vizio is horrible, almost never do you have sound no picture and it end up being a bad main board.

I would suspect the t-con, inverter or a power issue feeding the inverter before the main board. I would almost not even consider the main board at this point.

As far as prices...if its a power supply issue, it would probably be caps, so if you can solder you know your looking at $5. If you had to replace the power supply, its $50. The t-con sells for $35 and the inverter for $50. So the most we should end up spending in parts is $50. Unless you needed both inverters, then it would be $100 in parts.

The main board I cannot find in stock anywhere, but it sells for around $150, but again I do not think this is your issue.

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.