alr3d
alr3d, Technician
Experience:  tv repair
6460921

i have 42" rca tv model no 42pa30rq , it is dark with sound

Customer Question

i have 42" rca tv model no 42pa30rq , it is dark with sound , i have change the y board , the main logic board , and the upper y scan , but it is the same way
Category: TV
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

have you tested the voltages coming out of the power supply feeding the y board?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have tested voltages , it same to be good
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

can you tell me what they are? also are the tv`s menus dark also?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the voltage are 205 v on the two vs and 51 v on the va and 15 v menus is dark the hole screen is dark , some time a litter red in the back ground and some it will on good for a scond or two but back to dark
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

can you attach a picture or two ? to attach use the paper clip button right above where you are typing.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the picture is dark that is the only thing on the screen but cannot take a picture
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

well you either have a bad panel or a bad z-sustain board. feel the heat on the z board and tell me if it is warm or cold after the tv has been on 15 mins.

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what i am seeing now is that the voltage is only there when trun on the tv , z board is cool
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

the voltage is only there when the tv is on is normal. you have a bad z-sustain board.

Allan

alr3d, Technician
Experience: tv repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so why is the voltage go away after a second , so u are sure is not the power supply
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
so are you saying the tv does not stay on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tv stay on with sound but stay dark and the voltage to the y board stay a second then it just start going down to 0 v but tv stay talking
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

oh

so let me be sure i got this right. you only have a dark picture for just a few secs and then the picture goes away and sound stays?? right?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no picture not any time, the only thing change is the voltage , the voltage go to 0v , the only thing i am getting is sound
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok because you said menus are dark and whole screen is dark.. so i thought you had a dark picture but you do not have one at all...

remove the lower buffer and see if the top half of the picture comes on..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no there is no picture , it is still dark
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i test it the power supply by useing a mutimeter , i trun the tv on , and put one test lead to ground , and test the lead to the y board
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
did you pull out the lower buffer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which one of the low buffer
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
you changed the upper y scan(buffer) remove the lower on lower side left
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the E Buffer or y buffer ,
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
can you attach and send me a picture? use the paper clip button above where you are typing to attach.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont have carma, to take a picture , so can you help me i just need to know if the voltage from the power supply is there at all time , to the y board is there all the time , or because there is some problem with the some other board
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
the voltage will shut down if there is a problem in the tv or if the power supply itself is bad. but i will opt out of this question and see if another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what you think is the problem
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

i am not sure yet we need more testing. you said you replaced the y-upper scan?? if so remove the one underneath it and try the tv without in the tv.

let me know?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have done that , the same thing , dark . now i am not getting the 205 v only the 15 v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok unhook the y-sustain and the z-sustain from the power supply and turn on the tv and see if the 205 comes back up?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the is still going down , but the 15 v is always there
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

so the 205 never comes up now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , for a second , 205v then down to 0v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok and it does this with both sustains unplugged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with the buffer boards, y both unplugged , the voltage stay up
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

ok you are talking about the buffers on the far left? top and bottom?

Allan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , and z board is discouneted from the main logic board , the voltage is 205v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
hook the z up and tell me if the voltage stays up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the voltage stay up 205 v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok so the only thing unhooked right now is the two y scan drivers on the left both top and bottom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , and the power to the y board , from the power supply
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok hook up the y-sustain and see if the power goes off. leave the two buffers unhooked
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have dont that so only the two buffers unhooked , the voltage is at 205 v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
ok so the y-sustain is hooked up and bot butters are unhooked? if this is correct? the hook up the top one only and see if the voltage stays up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have hooked up the top bufffer , know as the x doard , the voltage is not threre now
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
have you replaced this board before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no ,
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

well either this board is bad or the panel itself is shorted. there is no way to tell other that replacing the board.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am just where i start , dont what do
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
i would order the board and give it a try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am just thinking the power supply is bad ,
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
if the 205 stays up with another board unhooked then the power supply is good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
every time y board is un hooked the voltage stay up
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

are you talking about the y-sustain?

you said earlier that with the x board the voltage stayed up??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no , once you plug the y board in the power supply , it make a few more clik on the power suppply and the voltage will go down
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

here is the statement you told me earlier today

(i have hooked up the top buffer , know as the x doard , the voltage is not threre now )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes that is what was happening , if the x board is unhooked the voltage will go down , every time i hook up the y board , the x board take the voltage from y board , so i think that something is loading down the power supply or the power supply bad
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
so if all boards are hooked up except the x board do the voltages still go down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

i do not think it is the power supply if so the z-sustain would also make the voltages go down

now of the side left of the tv you have two scan boards or on this model it may be one long board either way it is hooked to the y-sustain on the left. have you unhooked it with everything else hooked up?? and if so did the voltages still go down?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , voltage keep go down , do you think the main board can be bad
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

no main board would not do this

where did you buy your y-sustain from?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
shop jimmy , what control the power supply , sometime i have to unplug the tv , to get the voltage of 205
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
main board controls power supply but if you can unhook the y-sustain and it stays on it would not make since that the main is bad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is y sustain , i just want to know if i am unhook
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

do you have a camera or cell phone camera? i really want to be sure we are on the same page, because i do not think we are.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
the one with the big black heat sink is the y-sustain board the one attached to it is the scan drive board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what you want me to do
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
so is the y-sustain board the only board you can unhook to get the 205 to stay up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , if i plug in the power to y board the voltage will go down , when i plug it out and trun on the tv the voltage will not come up , i will have to plug out the tv and then plug it back in and it trun on , and the voltage will stay up , if i thenplug in the y board the voltage will come up and then go down to 0 v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.

unhook everything from the y board except the power supply and see what happens

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no voltage with everything unplug , only the power to the y board
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
it sounds like the y-board is bad . do you have the old one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have ,
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
lets put it in and see if it does the same thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same thing
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
then the only thing i can figure is the power supply is bad and not strong enough to keep running.. but i do not think i have ever seen this..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is what i am saying
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
it is just very odd. but that is the best idea
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anyway to test the power supply
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
we have and it is putting out power. we are thing it is just not enough current. not other way we can test this issue but try and replace it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thing that i am seeing is once the y board is plug in to the power supply , the tv will give me four tik and when and i trun on the voltgae will not come up 205 v , i will have unplug the tv from the out let , then unplug the y board , then plug it back in to the out let then it will give one tik and the voltage will be there at 205 v
Expert:  alr3d replied 2 years ago.
okm so you ordered the power supply