Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

4 year old Samsung 40inch lcd. A line down the middle of screen

4 year old Samsung 40inch lcd. A line down the middle of screen Right hand part of screen a perfect picture left hand side a scrambled picture. After it has been turned on for some 30 minutes the complete screen and picture is perfect. This fault has only started 3 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number?
2. How old is it?
3. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth professional repair? If you want to do it yourself, do you own and know how to operate a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is 4 year old.

I do not plan to repair myself just would like to know the possible cause of the fault.

The model Number is LE 40M 86 BD

Kind regards

Ray Johnstone

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Turn the TV off and let it cool off for a while. Then grab a friend and turn the TV on. Then, apply a twisting motion to the screen (like you're wringing out a towel)... see if that will clear up the affected areas, even if it's just for a second while the pressure is applied. It's not a permanent fix, but it will help me narrow down the issue.

You can also try squeezing the TV’s bezel (plastic piece around the screen) near the affected area. Again, not as a fix… just a test.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - Sorry for the delay. Your suggestion did not work. Have been in touch with Samsung who advise the fault is with the LCD screen. Needs a new one however they are no longer available. It is a chuck awe3ay job for the tip. Just ordered a Blaunpuct Tv to replace it.

Many thanks XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Further to our replies please accept the £21 fee for your time knowledge and patience in trying to resolve the problem.

Once again Kind regards

Ray Johnstone

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Yes, I suspected a defective LCD panel... that's what we were testing for. I'm glad you were taken care of. Let me know if you need anything else.