Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Need to remove channel lock code from Panasonic Viera model

Customer Question

Need to remove channel lock code from Panasonic Viera model Th37px60u TV.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Hi!

What exactly is the message you are seeing on the screen?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not in front of TV, still at work....but going home in about 10 minutes. If I try typing in what we thought was the correct code, or all zeros to try and reset.............the response back is simply "invalid code".
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem, let me know when you are home, happy to help...I just need the exact message you are getting.

Tim
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Yes, just shoot me a message at this page when you are home.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now home with the TV.

Response to incorrect code, which is a four digit code input from the remote control =

Channel locked.
Incorrect password.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
So when you try to go to a channel on the tv, it just says channel locked rather than display the video/sound?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We can watch all the stations that were initially selected before the channel lock was input. Now, that we cannot remember our 4 number code we chose......we cannot do any modifications to the channels we have. We cannot add any new stations, we cannot delete any stations, to do so requires inputing the channel lock password. You cannot even have it do a new 'scan' of available channels, because that also requires the channel lock password.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
OK try this:

Turn the tv off
While off press the POWER and ACTIONS buttons at the same time, hold them down. Any change?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That had no effect. Channel lock still in place. The manual for TV on page 26 just says (If you have forgotten your password, consult your local dealer).......which is not very helpful.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
OK it should reset this way, I am not sure why it is not...

Try this a little different:

Turn the tv off
Press the POWER AND ACTION buttons at the same time, hold them down, it will turn on.
Once on, do nothing, but turn it back off again via the power button.

Then turn it back on, any change?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tim:

I need to be more specific. TV is turned off.
I used the remote, pressed the power button on the remote and the center button that is labelled 'ok' at the same time. TV does not restart. The OK button is in the center of a four direction circular button with arrows to select up, down, right or left.......for moving thru menus.

If the OK button is not the same as Action, then I am not holding down the correct button.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
OK is not the same as action sorry, does your remote have a MENU button?
Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. There is a 'menu' button, 'TV/Video' button, 'Exit' button, 'Return' button.......those are just outside the directional toggle button.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
OK do the reset again but instead of action press MENU.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately. That has no effect. Those two buttons do not make the TV restart. I suspect that there is something wrong with the TV that makes a reset impossible using the remote control.

My wife is telling me I have to leave for a family dinner at a restaurant, so we will have to resume this at another time, if possible. Hopefully we can reconnect on Saturday or just wait until next Monday.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Ok no problem, I will be around tomorrow. Shoot me a message when you are. IN the meantime I will research to see if there is any other reset for this.

Tim