Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

i have a sony bravia 40s2010. i have a picture, but no sound.

Customer Question

i have a sony bravia 40s2010. i have a picture, but no sound. tried clicking on mute button and turning internal speakers on and off, but no luck. any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Can you bring me up to speed with your set up there please.

Cable box? Satellite box? How is it connected to the TV? Any AV Receiver, Home Theater or Sound Bar in the mix? How are they all connected?

Give me as much detail as you can and I'll see if I can fix it for you :)

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi steve,

a cable runs from the wall to the cable/dvr box; then 5 cables run from the calbe/dvr box to the back of the tv

i tried playing a dvd through our dvd player and still no sound

i am starting to think there is something wrong with the tv internally

was this helpful or do you need more information?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Thanks.

The five cables are as follows: red, green and blue are video. Another red and a white are the audio so it is the red and white that we are probably concerned with.

First, make sure that the red video and red audio are not crossed.

Now, you say that you tried a DVD player..was that with the same five wires?

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

red video and red audio are not crossed

the dvd player is connected directly to the tv (i.e., not through the same 5 wires) - it has its own set of 3 wires (red, white and yellow)

thanks

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, then did you switch the DVD input on the TV when you tried the DVD?

Take the red and white audio cables from the cable box and plug them into the DVD player's red and white jack. Keep the TV switched to the cable input. Play a DVD. Do you hear sound? You will not see anything on the screen.

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes - i switched the tv input to dvd - no luck

ok - i swapped the red/white audio cables to the DVD player's red/white jacks; tried playing a dvd...no sound

thanks

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, can you plug some headphones into the TV please and tell me if you hear anything?

Make sure mute is off and internal speakers are set to 'on'.

If you get no audio, replace your AU Board: http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-a-1179-055-a-au-board.htm

If you do get audio from the headphones, let me know.

I'll be here if you need more help. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Please remember to click 'Accept' and/or give me a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time and effort. If you don't, I won't get anything. It doesn't close the question and we can still continue.

Please also bookmark my web page at www.stevetheguru.com so that you can contact me with your future electronic questions.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve -

Thanks. Okay - so I went back through all the cables. Turns out my 19 month year old stuck a cable in the head phone jack and that actually disrupted the sound from coming through the audio cables from the cable/dvr box. Obviously, not the answer we thought of, but I could not have figured it out without your pointing me in all the different directions. Problem solved. Guess I should have disclosed earlier that young kids roam the house!

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Excellent. No expensive repairs required then :)

Thanks for the positive rating.

Good luck.