Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Samsung TV has no sound or picture.

My Samsung HD LCD TV has no picture or sound. I was able to get it to work for about three minutes and then it shut off. It is not powered off just no picture or sound. My problem now is I have no idea what setting it is on HDMI or PC or HDMI2 because I have no control of the picture it is just black.

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Can you please get me the model number off the back of the set?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

When it shuts down are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About a year and it happened this am I watched TV until about 10 PM last night no problems and this am when I turned it on I had sound only. After messing with it I was able to get nowhere then went to work. When I got home I tried it again. At some point and I don't really know what happened it found my PC and alerted me so I could read on the screen then I moved the inputs to HDMI1 where my cable is and the weather channel came on with full screen and sound then it all went away.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes problem still exists. Should the red light be on or off when the power is on? I can't remember.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

If the TV still does not power up, then there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $200 parts and labor.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The TV powers up fine but I can’t tell if I am on the right setting for HDMI or the playstation or anything else, I think that it must be something silly that I can't find but without the picture I am helpless.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

If you press Volume, Input, or any of the other buttons on the TV does anything at all come up on the screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just turned up the volume and I have the sound of the TV station fine but no picture.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
What I'm asking is do the Volume, Input or MENU indicators actually SHOW up on the screen when you press the buttons?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Shine a flashlight directly on the screen and look very very closely at the screen. Do you see a dimly lit, shadowy image behind the screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is hard to tell but i dont see anything my flashlight is not the best and it is like a mirror reflection

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The problem I indicated above is what is wrong with your TV. If nothing comes up on the screen then the set is NOT fully powering up- meaning that the backlight inverters, or the panel itself are not powering up. There are no settings on the TV that will prevent the Volume, Input or MENU functions from coming up on the screen and this indicates a problem with the TV as I stated above.