Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My flat screen will not stay on. The power light keeps blinking

My flat screen will not stay on. The power light keeps blinking green. When i hold down the power button it will turn red and come on and turn yellow. But then it powers off and goes to blinking green again. HELP
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number? Look on the rear panel, please.
2. How old is it?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sharp model LC32SB21U about 2/12 years old
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Is the light flashing in any discernible pattern? Maybe something like: 2 blinks, pause, 2 blinks, pause, etc.? Also, is that the only blinking light or is there another?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there is no pattern to the blinking and the power light is the only light that blinks. the only other thing it dose is change color

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth professional repair? If you want to do it yourself, do you own and know how to operate a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
know how don,t own one. are you telling me you don,t know what,s wrong. And that I need to take it to someone.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
What I'm telling you, is that there are a number of possible things going on inside the TV. I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know how to fix TVs. We will need to get inside the TV to narrow it down for sure. If you don't know what you're doing with this sort of thing, though, then yes... it would be best for you to take it to someone.

If you don't want to dig around inside the TV, we can stay on the outside and discuss the history of this model and what fails the most. In other words, we can talk about what is probably causing this.

Just let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not comfortable with entering the TV is there anything that can be done from the outside and what do you think could be the most likely of my problems.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

I understand.

Ok, so what's causing this? Things like this can be caused by a couple different things. The power supply board is the usual suspect here. More specifically, this model is actually pretty well known for having defective capacitors on the power supply which can cause this exact issue. However, the main board and the LCD panel (the screen) could also be causing this. The power supply and the main board would normally be cost effective to repair, and these are the most common issues. The panel would be far too expensive to consider replacing but that would also be much more rare, so the odds are on your side. Again, though, we won't know for sure until the technician gets inside to have a closer look.

This is definitely reparable. It will just boil down to cost, so the real question is: Will this be cost effective? The answer is... probably. The good news is that some hands on diagnostics wouldn't run you more than $50-$75 (in my area) and most of that would be put toward the repair labor should you decide to have it repaired.

If you'd like, feel free to post back here with the technician's findings and the repair estimate. I'd be happy to let you know what I think. A typical repair bill here can vary, but would usually range $250-$450 for the power supply or main board. Again, the panel would be cost prohibitive.

Let me know if you need anything else. If you're finished, please click "Accept" so the site credits me with helping you today! Thanks!

Respectfully,
Dan T.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.