Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a 60" Sony Wega TV. The standby light keeps blinking

I have a 60" Sony Wega TV. The standby light keeps blinking and the tv shuts of and then comes back on. We tried resetting the tv and turning the tv off. What could be the problem. Model #KDF60XS955
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We purchased the tv in 2007. I noticed this problem about two weeks ago. Then the tv didnt do this anymore. Yesterday is when the problem has remained constant. We did not have a power outage or storm. The green light blinks about 36 times each time then the tv comes on. Then the tv screen turns black and the green light starts blinking again. When this occurs, there is no sound or picture.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Have you ever had any work at all done on the TV?

Also, what does the blinking green light say next to it (Lamp, Timer, Power, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have never had any work done on this tv. The blinking light is under the power/stanby mode
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still doing it.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The problem is in the Light Engine of the set failing. It is responsible for processing the picture, colors and lighting the picture. This is a common problem for this set. You would need to have the Light Engine replaced to fix the problem with the lines across the screen.

To have a tech replace the Light Engine is not cheap, and will run close to $550 parts and labor for this type of repair. I wish I had better news on the set. You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So this will stop the problem? We dont have any lines across the screen. The screen just goes black.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, no you don't have lines across the screen...that is also a symptom caused by a faulty Light Engine. Yes the continuously blinking Green light, no picture no sound means that the Light Engine needs to be replaced, and this will fix your problem.