PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

sony 3lcd wega engine, model kdf-e42a10 push the power

Customer Question

sony 3lcd wega engine, model kdf-e42a10 push the power buttom and a green light will come on for a couple of seconds and after the red lights appears in the same block. the tv will not power on.
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 2 years ago.

PramitP :

PramitP :

Does the lamp light blink red?

Customer :

after the green , it blinks red yes

PramitP :

Is it the lamp light?

Customer :

no, in the power section

PramitP :

What is the blink sequence? For e.g 4 blinks-pause-4 blinks and so on

Customer :

5 times and repeats

Customer :

remember is the red light thats repeats

PramitP :

When you turn the set on, listen carefully if you hear any crackling/fizzing noise?

Customer :

no, i can not even hear the relay....some times only after red light

PramitP :

The problem seems to be with the ballast.

PramitP :

Ballast is the power supply of the lamp. It's like firing circuit of the lamp.

Customer :

so what can i do, to repair or buy the part, is it valueble the repair

PramitP :

It's part no. is 1-468-936-11

PramitP :

You can replace it. I am loooking for it's availability online.

PramitP :

You can get it from the link below.

Customer :

thanks for your quick reply

PramitP :

Before replacing you will need to check the DC voltage

PramitP :

From the large 2 wire plug.

PramitP :

It should be around 300V DC

Customer :

why and because.....remember i am not a tech

PramitP :

To confirm it is the lamp.

PramitP :

Remove the lamp and close the lamp door. Turn the set on. If you do not hear the crackling/fizzing sound then the ballast is not working.

PramitP :

When was the lamp replaced last time?

Customer :

never

PramitP :

How old is the set?

Customer :

7 years in oct

PramitP :

OMG! A lamp is usually replaced ever 1-2 years.

PramitP :

ow, there is a very good chance that due to aging the lamp is not being able to maintain the arc. So, the set is shutting down.

PramitP :

Also, the ballast could be fried so the TV shows the 5 blink code.

PramitP :

You can get it from the link below.

PramitP :

Are you there?

PramitP :

The first thing to do would be replacing the lamp. Most likely, you will have to replace both lamp as well as ballast.

Customer :

yes we are here. well i think that the tv will be a great recycle item. too much money and can buy a flat tv.

PramitP :

Lets say ou have to replace both lamp as well as ballast, then parts alone would cost you around $350. The rest is your choice. Otherwise, you can go for a LCD/LED TV and then repair this TV and keep it as a standby or sell it on E-Bay.

Customer :

well your opinion sounds great, thanks for you time. from puerto rico with care ,, felicha. bye

PramitP :

Btw, replacing the lamp is really easy.

PramitP :

Good day :)

PramitP :

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you. If you have a subscription, you must hit accept if you want to acknowledge my help.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK