Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

How do I use a web browser with my samsung smart tv?

Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

When you go to a website, what happens?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only websites available are icons that appear with tv: facebook, youtube, etc.--I want to go to a specific website: wgi.org--for a simulcast that begins in a few hours. Is there a way to browse web with the tv?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
What is the model number for your tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see a way to enter a web address and go there with what is at the smart tv hub. UN55D6000SFXZA
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok when in the SMART HUM what happens when you select the WEB BROWSWER icon?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there isn't a web browser icon
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
OK thats our problem, you cant get to the web browser.

Press the yellow C Button on your remote, it should open EDIT MODE where you can edit your applications list, you should be able to add the web browser to the list, then when you go to the smart hub you should see the icon for web browser. Let me know.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pressed c... only option is "new folder"....how do i add anything to this list?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
You were in the smart hub when you presssed C?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes...in smart hub when i hit c...all the icons for apps that came with tv are there...omly option to name a folder...how do i use a web browser?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I missed something here, you have a 6000 series tv, the web browswer is only in the 6300 and 6900 series tvs. I am sorry, but according to the manual I have, there is no way to get the browswer on your tv.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I use a web browser: safari--firefox--with my samsung smart tv--so that i may access whatever website i want via my tv?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
To my knowledge thats not possible...your tv is not quite like a computer yet where you can download things and use them like you would on a tv. That technology is on its way, but for right now these tvs will only do what the manufactures made them to do...on your set it looks like they have just chosen to include a few apps to use.

Now you could always hook a computer to the tv and use the tv as a monitor...but I do not think thats what you are wanting.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
since i have no wen browser with the tv, how can i most easily connect my laptop to tv so at least i can have big screen monitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there a wireless way to use tv asa monitor?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
The easiest way is to connect the tv directly via a cable of some sort, now I say of some sort because I am not sure what type of outputs your laptop has.

If it has a HDMI output then the easiest way is to hook a HDMI cable between the laptop and the tv.

If your laptop does not have HDMi but has vga output, then you can go from the vga output of the laptop to the vga input on the tv.

As far as wireless, yes there are some wireless solutions out there, but require software in the computer and hardware at the tv to make it work.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mac laptop no hdmi can i use a usb cable?--there are usb inputs in tv as well
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I think you can if you use a display link usb driver, but you are moving more into a computer issue at that point and I may not be the best qualified person to answer that.

Also with mac, I believe you have a simple solution for wireless if you were to buy a apple tv unit, but I am not 100% sure how that works.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.