Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My sharp Aquos TV has suddenly stopped accepting HDMI input

Customer Question

My sharp Aquos TV has suddenly stopped accepting HDMI input when i was switching over to PS3. Also noticed the RGB does not work. Scart however does seem to work.

The TV is about 7 years old. I'll add the model number when i get home tonight. Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Is the PS3 the only device you're having problems with on the TV?

If so, then follow the steps below:

Reset PlayStation 3 Video Output. 1) Turn off the power to your PS3 2) Turn it back on again 3) While turning it on hold down the power button until you see something on the screen. This will completely reset the video output of your PlayStation 3 to the factory default output, once done you can then go into the PlayStation 3's video settings and configure them to your liking.

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, my SKY+ box also does no longer works through HDMI. Currently I'm using a SCART lead.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Okay I understand. Have you tried different HDMI cables?

If so, please try the steps below to reset your TV.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes ive tried different HDMI cables.

I'll try the rest tonight. thanks for you suggestions.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Please reply back when you've had a chance to try this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if that reset worked or not but it didn't seem to make a difference
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately this is a common mode of failure and the HDMI inputs have shorted and failed. HDMI is very finicky as it is the only connection that carries 5 volts of Bus power down the cable to transmit the signal. It is prone to failure from slight surges (even with a surge protector), Arcs from within the jack, or a cable that has failed. Unfortunately there are no settings, or buttons you can change to allow the HDMI jacks working again. You will need to have the Mainboard on the TV replaced (It houses the HDMI jacks and the AV connections). Average cost for this type of repair is around $275 parts and labor.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I can fix this if it just replacing a part. Do you know where I can get a new one. Also. Is there any soldering or is it just a matter of unplugging the old and inserting a new one similar to a PC.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you need to replace the mainboard. It is a plug and play board located on the rear of the TV panel. I am in the states, and cannot locate any vendors in the UK that sell these boards. I would suggest calling any TV repair shops in your area, giving them the model number off the back of the TV and have them locate a Mainboard for your TV. Average cost for just the board itself is around $125 or so.