Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma 720. The TV just shut off

I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma 720. The TV just shut off and l smelt an electronic burnt odour. Pulled the back off the unit and found the T2AL250V clear glass fuse was burnt out. All other fuses were ok. Replaced with a time delay 2A and now the unit clicks on and then off after a couple of seconds and continues to cycle like its trying to turn on. The red light on the front right now comes on.

Thanks, Mike
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What board is your blown fuse on?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The unit is back together now. The fuse that burnt was in the board that was dead center of the unit. The unit was made in 2008. Do you need me to take the back off again?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Its was on the power supply board?

Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just removed the back again. It is the power supply board. DYP-50W3. There were three fuses on the board. A ceramic fuse close to where the power cord goes in, it's ok. My blown fuse was glass fuse.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Ok you need to replace the SMPS board here then, the part number is XXXXX it runs about $115. I would recommend www.encompassparts.com or www.shopjimmy.com.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

graphicHi Tim, l was in the process of taking a picture of the board for you. Please advise. Do you still feel it's the whole board? The fuse is the one at the end of the red pen.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that board will need to be replaced, unfortuantely schematics and components for it are impossible to come by. If you could get them you could spend a lot of time troubleshooting the board and repairing it, but without them it would be a lost cause.

Tim