Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.

my sony bravia tv wont turn on. Red light blinks 5 times

Customer Question

my sony bravia tv won't turn on. Red light blinks 5 times
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. It would help us to know:
What is the model number of your TV?

We're looking forward to hearing back from you soon!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
kdl 60ex500
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that information I will check the code for you, does the Tv try to come on at all, does the screen light briefly or any sound at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It clicks like its trying to come on but screen doesnt come on. It goes from the red blicking to the green for a few sseconds then clicks back over. Goes back to blinking. Earlier when it "crashed" I came into the room sound was on no picture. turned it off, now won't come back on.
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.
The five flash error code is failure of the Tcon board, the Tcon board is the board that processes the video to the LCD panel. It is no longer available as a seperate part from the sony parts distributor so the entire LCD panel would have to be replaced, unfortunatlely the cost of the LCD panel (screen) would exceed the value of the Tv. Your only recourse may be to contact sony for assistance if the Tv is not that old. There customer relations number is XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Seriously? The tv is a year and 2 months old.... and out of warrenty. so nothing I can do?
Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.
don't be so sure, only two months out of warranty most likely sony is going to help you out, but you will have to call them and they are going to require you to have it evaluated by a sony authorized sevice center. you may have to pay for that but they should take it from there, Unfortunatlely that 5x flash code is Tcon and it is not available this is why they will most likely pickup the cost of the panel. So sorry for the bad news but I think you will make out ok with a phone call. let me know.