Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My sony lcd tv shuts off after a few minutes and the power

Customer Question

My sony lcd tv shuts off after a few minutes and the power light flashes red
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4 and a half years. The power button blinks in intervals of 3.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it just turned off
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Have you ever replaced the lamp in this set?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We had it replaced last summer.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

The 3 blink code on this set indicates that either the lamp is not seated properly (has become loose), or the lamp cover is open (or the switch is not engaged). Please pull the lamp and re install making sure it is secure. Then additionally make sure the lamp door is closed tightly and securely. Power on the set and let me know if you have the same problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did that and now the tv is not coming on.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay, the TV was not coming on before either...so is the problem any different?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe it is the same problem
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Is the light still blinking 3 times, pause, 3 times, pause?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Then the problem is that the Lamp sensor switch or the lamp door sensor switch have failed. They are both wired together in series, and either one of them failing will cause the symptoms you're having on the TV- not allowing it to power up and causing the 3 blink code you're getting. There are no buttons you can press or resets that will fix the problem and you will have to have the switches checked out and replaced as necessary. The average cost for this type of repair is around $125 parts and labor. You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!