Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have an LG 50PG20-UA Plasma and the set turns on with audio,

Customer Question

I have an LG 50PG20-UA Plasma and the set turns on with audio, but no picture. The screen seems to be trying to come on but only shows a fuzzy, red border of the screen. It is blacked out in the center area of the screen. It is like looking at static/snow showing only the outer edges of the screen, with a red tinge to it.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

What happens when you try to activate the TV's volume control or the TV's menu, do they display on the screen?

Do you see any blinking lights on any of the boards?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there are no blinking lights on the boards, there is a steady amber led on the output (HDMI, VGA, audio, etc...)board. The volume works as expected. If I press menu it changes to the menu screen, at least from what red and black fuzz I can see. so there is an image on the screen, it is just all screwy.

At between 11 and 20 seconds into the video, that link show more or less what I am seeing, but my screen does not show the vertical bars and is dark in the middle, not white.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

I'll take a look at that, but roughly're descibing a Zsus issue.

You mentioned you replaced THAT BOARD?

Do you still have the Original Board? If so, I'd definitely compare the Sticker on that board to the original and verify it's the same board. Then I'd look at where that board came from. I'd feel more comfortable if it came from the manufacturer, one of their Distribution Warehouses instead of EBay or a scrap TV set.

But we should compare the original board with the replacement.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Oh stated YOURS looked like that...this is someone else's TV where they replaced all the boards....Correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct, the video is just for reference to see what my symptom is. I have not made any repairs as of yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also, I do not have the vertical ber showing on my set. Just the "snow"
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Ok, it's still the same issue, because Zsus boards, when they fail, you get a picture, but it's actually those speckles/blobs you see, and they have a tendency to change/move due to the actual video signal.