Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

How can I repair the white spots on a 65 inch Toshiba DLP

How can I repair the white spots on a 65 inch Toshiba DLP TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which INPUT you select?

Have the white spots multiplied over time?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had the set for 4.5 years, and the problem started about 4 months ago. Connected to the TV is a cable reciever, a BluRay DVD player and an audio reciever. The white spots have been multiplying over time.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

This is the most common problem that occurs with DLP sets. The problem you're seeing are mirrors failing in the Light Engine. The Light Engine DLP chip has thousands of tiny mirrors- each one representing a Pixel. When the Pixels go white, it is a mirror failing. The problem will get worse and worse (this is what always happens), until your entire screen is white.

The cost of a new Light Engine is $1,200. But, you can have the Light Engine rebuilt by using a new DLP chip for around $350 total. This is not something I would recommend doing yourself as it is very time consuming to remove the light Engine, and it is best to have the set in the hands of a tech in case something goes wrong in the process.

The next is a private shop locater to have them rebuild the Light Engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-57HM167-65HM167-Light-Engine-White-Dots-REPAIR-ab2-/120685503568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c196aa450

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are