TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My Sony Bravia 53 " picture is too wide so I lose much of the

Customer Question

My Sony Bravia 53 " picture is too wide so I lose much of the picture-I have tried every possible setting and nothing fixes the problem
Category: TV
Expert:  djkanoko replied 2 years ago.

kanoko :

I would be happy to help you.

kanoko :

could you provide the model of your TV?

kanoko :

it should be listed on the side or back of the TV. also it should be listed on the cover of your TV manual

Customer :

you keep telling me there is an answer-please tell me where-I see nothing and I'm getting frustrated

kanoko :

If you click on this link: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666376725

You will see that this TV is a 'BX520 Series' and the model number is XXXXX Can you check your TV manul or check the back of your TV for a similar number and let me know what it is?

kanoko :

I will need this information to answer your question.

Customer :

its a kdl55ex500

kanoko :

ok, can you go to MENU > Settings > screen > Auto Wide > and set to OFF

kanoko :

then press the WIDE button on your remote to cycle the different picture modes. when you do this is the NORMAL picture mode one of the choices?

Customer :

No. Normal is not an option.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Actually you need to set your TV's WIDE setting to FULL, and keep it set there.

Then if your picture is still too wide, your Cable or Satellite box most likely has a Format or Aspect button on it (look at the # XXXXX * key under the number buttons) that you need to set.

The TV set itself should always be set to Full and kept there.

Any variation in picture size would then be an issue with the Cable/Sat box's picture size setting.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the Wide setting on full, auto wide on OFF and Display Area Full Pixel, also, the Satellite (DISH) HD SetUp is set as originally Analog Type OFF AIR, TV Type 1080i and Aspect Ratio 4X3#2, yet I still lose horizontel coverage on both sides-I had already tried everything you have suggested prior to contacting you. Other ideas???

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

4x3 #2 -- do you get the side bars on 4x3 #1 ?

If so, there's a great trick that I use to see where the problem lies.

First.....as a RULE, always leave the TV set to FULL, never ever change that setting.

Now, 4x3 #1 or the Pillar box picture....that SHOWS your EVERYTHING the Television station is actually DELIVERING to your TV set !

If they are clipping your picture....you will know it instantly.

If they are not....then you know it's a DISH Format problem. Wrong format. Wrong setting.

That one simple test setup tells me everything. FULL on the TV, 4x3 on the cable box.

Now, if you cannot change the picture size to 4x3, then you know the TV station has FORCED the channel to 16 x 9 Format and won't let you select the picture size controls.

That's when I check Discovery HD or Velocity. Both channels are hard core 16x9 Fullscreen HD. No playing around with formats or HD resolutions on those. True 16x9 1080i all the time.

I think ESPN messed up their settings recently, and the picture is clipped on the left/right edges.

You can't TRUST an unknown signal. You have to learn to trust a KNOWN STANDARD and Discovery channels are a KNOWN STANDARD (at least to me it is).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried discovery, still does it, even tried swirching to 16 X 9 and it go worse, it happens on all networks, and is especially frustrating on CNBC and ESPN which have all kinds of information that I am missing-still no sloution, any other ideas??

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Well....I guess we should find out what TYPE and MODEL number of Sony you have.

If your picture is TOO WIDE, I suspect you have one of the older CRT projection TV sets and certainly not an LCD or Plasma.

Those TVs have width and pincushion problems that LCD and Plasma don't.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a Bravia LCD 55EX500
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Well, there are no Horizontal Width or Vertical Height adjustments in your Service menu. They have sound, but that's about it.

LCD TV sets don't require those --

graphic

The only logical thing you can try is setting your Cable/Sat box to output a 4x3 picture and then set the Sony TV to WIDE mode so it fills the screen without clipping the Top/Bottom off.

Your cable box's resolution can be set to 1080 or 720 and that might help get the picture in if you try 720P.

Other than that, the only other choice would be to replace the scaler in the TV set.

I would ONLY do that if --

1] That box connected to your Sony was hooked to another HD TV set and the picture was NOT WIDE on it.

2] You HAD a properly sized picture on your TV set, and then one day it just oversized...it can happen, especially if you turned on your TV, or had a power glitch, or you were watching it one day and the picture suddenly popped wider on you.

Then I would be seriously looking at a scaler issue.

How many of those problems have I seen before?

If I exclude yours......NONE.

Never ran across a scaler issue, or a TV with too big of a picture that was an LCD TV set. Never.

It's always been the TV was set to Wide or Wide Zoom, or the Box was set to 16:9 when it was supposed to be set to 4x3 to fit the screen (I had ONE box that did that to me) or it was set to a ZOOM mode.

But that's it.

BOTH should be set to 16:9 on most setups. But like I said, I did have ONE guy that had to be set to 4x3 on his box to get his picture to fit.

That's been about 3-4 years back.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I HAVE TRIED ALL OF YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS AND NONE OF THEM GETS RID OF THE PROBLEM, GUESS YOU COULDN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT, UNLESS YOU HAVE ANOTHER IDEA, REFUND MY $38
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

When you tested your TV with a 4x3 signal from your cable box, was it clipped on the Left/right sides?

That's the most important question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is THE issue, the problem IS the horizontal; it is cut off on thr left and the right

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is clipped off on the left and the right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No matter what I do or you recommend, the bottem line is that I lose the left and right side of the picture; if you can resolve issue, I'm happy, if not refund my $38
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Do you remember what I said about the 4x3 setting showing EVERYTHING that the Cable box is delivering to your TV set?

IF you did set your Cable box to 4x3.....and you saw that clipped picture, your TV is working FINE. Your cable/sat box is shrinking the size of the picture. And your TV station signal is showing up the way it's DELIVERING IT.

Your Beef isn't with your TV or your cable box. But you DO HAVE a SIGNAL PROBLEM.

Logically....that issue is not ALL THE CHANNELS or the TV STATIONS

Nope....no way.

It's on the Satellite UPLINK. The main transmitter that transmits all the various TV stations Up to the main satellite. It can be on the DOWNLINK side which would put it squarely on your LOCAL service provider, but it certainly tells me two things.

#1 it's not your TV, you see the 4x3 box is shrunk. Pulled in and the picture is clipped IN the shrunk box.

#2 It's not your cable box, because it was the source of the 4x3 box you see on the TV screen. It's creating the smaller box and the signal being DELIVERED to the box is still clipping !

It's a signal problem between the uplink and downlink. Somebody at one of those sites doesn't know it, but they screwed up the transmitter /reciever settings.

And if you don't believe me...Fine. I'll opt out and let you get a 2nd opinion from any other Tech here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Until recently, maybe a month or so ago, the picture was perfect-does this have a bearing on your thoughts? Also, if you are correct, what do I do to fix it?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

The issue is actually outside of your home. You have attempted to correct any and all settings on your TV set, and your Dish box. Now that we know the 4x3 picture shows an oversized picture, that places it directly in Dish Network's Satellite Uplink.

(DISH) HD SetUp is set as originally Analog Type OFF AIR, TV Type 1080i and Aspect Ratio 4X3#2, yet I still lose horizontel coverage

Like I said, when you look at a 4x3 picture and the left and right side are still clipped, you are looking at the TV station causing the problem. Dish's UPLINK is that TV station.

You can call Dish about this issue and let them know that all channels are clipped. You can tell them it's clipping in 4x3 #1 and #2. Obviously they'll forward that information to Dish's National Headquarters. How long it takes to resolve this...There's no guarantee.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.