Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Sony Trinitron Color TV, Model KV-32S45. The Stand-By/Timer

I have a Sony Trinitron Color TV, Model KV-32S45. The Stand-By/Timer light is blinking and the screen is blank. When I read the Operating Instruction manual, page 25, it describes how to go to the Timer menu to turn the Timer off. However, since the screen is blank I cannot access the Timer menu.

Is the screen blank because the Timer is on and if so, how do I turn the Timer off without being able to see the Timer menu?

Or is the screen off due to another reason and it is simply time to get a new TV?
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

The light should be flashing in groups. How many times does it flash before pausing and flashing all over again?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dan:

The light is blinking continuously. I cannot discern any sort of grouping pattern?

I understand.

The light isn't flashing because the timer was set. It's flashing because it's in protect mode. This happens when the TV's safety circuitry senses an overvoltage / overcurrent condition in the TV. That could be coming from a number of different places, but with your model there is a very high rate of bad CRTs (picture tubes). That's where I would start if I was looking inside the TV, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something else like the flyback transformer or deflection circuitry. No matter... the TV would need to be serviced if you want it up and running again. Or as you alluded to, perhaps it's time to replace it.

Let me know if you need anything else. If you're finished, please click "Accept" so the site credits me with helping you today! Thanks!

Respectfully,
Dan T.