Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Samsung LCD has a black screen, no picture only faint sound, help!

My samsung LCD tv has a black screen. We can hear sound coming from the TV but it is very faint and there is no picture. When the TV is turned off or on the usual tone is not heard.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

LN4DA53oP1FXZA this is the model number

We have had the set for 1 year and 3 months.

THis is the first time it has happened. My wife was watching. Turned it off. I came home and tried to turn it on and all I got was the black screen

-If you press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
-If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a glow to the screen. I do not remember where the menu button is on the tv I will try if you tell me where to find it.
Can you pres the MENU button on the samsung remote?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes and I found the menu button on the TV I pressed both, nothing happens

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair.

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $1400 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize you have tried to help, and probably I expected the answer you gace. ANy way I look at it it is going to cost me money. Is there a brand that is less susceptible to failures such as this and if so which one? I purchased this set on sale and it was between $600 and $700. I realize your help will cost me a small amount but in the long run I know in my area a technician is going to cost minimum $75. I also realized this set is 2 years and 3 months old. I guess I am asking for your recommendation, based on fewest "failures" before I decide what to do.
Sony seems to be the most reliable but they are not immune to problems, just the best I know of.

If I were going to buy a new tv right now it would be a Sony LCD, I base that on their quality of product, reliablity and the fact that Sony treats their customers better than any if they do fail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Surprise, I unplugged the set, waited, then plugged it back in. It came on.

I expect this will be a recurring problem?

More than likely yes...there is no reason that tv should ever turn on and not even be able to get the menu up....chances are it will break again, but I will hope that it doesnt for you.